MAC To The Beach Collection has officially launched at all counters today 5/27. Some Nordstrom started selling yesterday and Macy's/MAC free standing stores today. If you are still unsure what to get, I have recommendations below and swatches of the entire collection here. Happy hauling!
Several of you have asked what I would recommend from the collection so here are my thoughts:
- If you are a coral fan, you'll most likely love Thrills b/c it has a metallic/frost finish with bronzy pearl. I think this is a unique color that's much frostier compared to Fresh Salmon or Made With Love.
- Those who like pale pink lips will find Lazy Day a good fit. If you are in a money crunch, you can wait to pick up Angel from the permanent line b/c it is very very similar to Lazy Day. The only difference is the finish where Angel is a frost and Lazy Day is a Lustre.
- Beachbound in my opinion is a bit more difficult to pull off b/c it's sheer and doesn't apply evenly on the lips as the other 3 lipsticks.
- Funbathing is a pretty plum with gold shimmer. This color I find unique along with Thrills and will be picking it up since I have nothing like it in my collection.
- Sweet & Punchy is a pretty color to grab if you don't already have Rated R or Sharp. Neutral gals may have to think twice since it is a bright color so check it out in person to make sure you like it.
- The same goes for Firecracker b/c it's a bright coral red that might be difficult to pull off if you're not used to these colors. It is similar to Hot Hot Hot from Spring Colour Forecast Collection.
- Sand and Sun is a nice color but is already SOLD OUT on the US website. It is similar to Tet-E-Tint from the permanent collection so check that out. I don't think it's a must have.
- Humid & Shimmermoss are both nice colors but part of the permanent collection so there is no rush to grab them now. For those who depot the shadows anyway, you might as well buy them in pro pan to save some money.
- Splashing is the most pigmented out of the 3. It's a rather pretty pink that's not as lilac as English Accents from Liberty of London. I'm contemplating on grabbing this since I don't have one similar in my collection. HOWEVER, my biggest problem with MAC's lipglasses are the stickiness and the funky smell after a couple of uses. I'm not sure if it's just me but they have this awful plastic smell after a month or so. I will probably end up passing on this as well.
- Flurry of Fun is really gorgeous when swatch on the hand. On my lips, it's a bit harder to pull off because of the teal shimmer. It's best layered on top of a lipstick. You'll have to check this out in person to decide if you like it. It's either an "I can care less for it" or "I love it" type of product.
- Easy Lounger is SOLD OUT online to everyone's surprise. It's a nice light shimmery rose color that adds dimensions on top of a lipstick. I wouldn't stress over this one b/c MAC has released very similar colors before. In fact, they probably have something similar in the permanent collection.
Lip Pencils/Eye Kohls
- I like neither one of them because they are harder than the usual MAC lip pencils. Maybe it was the testers at Nordies but these poke hard on the hand when I did my swatches. Unless you often wear bright orange or pale pink, I'd say skip. MAC has a wide range of colors in their perm collection.
- Rosemary and Thyme is part of the perm collection so no rush to get it unless you really love the design. Float on By is nice but I find Undercurrent so much prettier with the added green dimension. I personally skipped both.
- Hipness is nice but if you already have Ripe Peach and Instant Chic, I personally see no reason to pick this up. If you have nothing from the same color family, then pick this or Marine Life up. It is a pretty color.
- Getaway Bronze/Weekend/Beach Bronze/Golden/Refine Golden - pick one. There is really no need IMHO to pick up more than one of these because they are all similar with slight variations. If you like cream bronzers, go for Weekend if you're medium/dark skin tone and Beach Bronze for light/medium skin tone. If you prefer powder bronzer, pick up Getaway Bronze/Golden for darker skin tones and Refine Golden for lighter. If you use bronzer every day, buy the Bronzers instead of the blush since you'll get more product.
- The nail polish colors are pretty but nothing special in my opinion. Buff will most likely be sold out next since it's a strange avocado-ish color. You can probably find a dupe for Scorcher from the OPI line.
- The Body Oil is probably one of the worst products I've encountered from MAC. I really didn't like it at all. It was oily and sticky on my arm and didn't spread all that well. I find this as a "I love it" or "I hate it" type of product. If you're really curious, check it out in person to see if you like it. Not a must have in my opinion.
- Marine Life is pretty and yes it's SOLD OUT everywhere even before this collection launches. There is a lot of hype b/c of the pretty seahorse design BUT this is a versatile product. When I played with this, the overspray will disappear so expect that if you'll be using this. To create several different combo of blush colors, you can either use more of the light pink or more of the coral. I could re-create Hipness using this so I see no reason to pick up both. I have this pre-ordered at Nordies last week so it is on my list of things to get. If you really don't want to mess up the overspray, use the MAC 130 brush to dab around the compact since the head is small enough.
- I like Pink Rebel b/c it reminds me of a less metallic version of Benefit's High Beam and it's more pink. I think this will look very pretty as a highlight along the cheekbone or down the bridge of the nose for light/medium skin. Sun Rush might be a bit orange on some people so it might be better for darker skin tone. Both are lovely but I think I will pick up Pink Rebel instead of High Beam.
Wow...if you didn't get a chance to see my tweet or Facebook update, MAC To The Beach Collection is now online. When I tweeted about an hour ago, Marine Life was still available. It's now already SOLD OUT. Hopefully MAC will restock by the time it "officially" launches online! In any case, the other products from this collection are still available so if you can't wait for it to hit the stores, get your orders in now =)
For those that really wanted to grab this, were you able to order one/two/or 10?