Burberry Cosmetics Part II- Lipsticks and Lipglosses Swatches and Review

Monday, July 19, 2010

Reds, pinks, burgundy, beige, whatever your heart desires, Burberry has them covered with 21 Lip Color Soft Satin Lipsticks, 12 Lip Glow Natural Lip Glosses, and 6 complementing Lip Definer Shaping Pencils.


Lip Color Soft Satin Lipsticks retail at $30USD with a very unique casing and checker patterns on the lipstick itself. This is not your usual close and click top, but rather a magnetic enclosure. You'll have to turn the top casing around to find the correct side to close the lipstick.  The entire tube is gunmetal with the Burberry checker all over the top of the case.  I give props to Burberry for thinking out of the box and creating modern yet chic packaging for this line.  The packaging is definitely heavier than MAC/Estee Lauder/Lancome, but I don't have any issues with it. In fact, I think it probably weighs just as much as Chanel Rouge Coco packaging.


Pardon the goosebumps on my arm..must be the cold AC in the mall! The first 12 colors of the line are lighter peaches and pinks with 2 Cameo and 3 Cameo Pink as my top 2 picks. They are peachy pink colors that is in the same family as Jazzed, YSL Rouge Volupte Tender Peach, etc.  These lipsticks are creamy and have a faint perfume smell that's pleasant, definitely not as strong on the nose as YSL Rouge Volupte.  If you have persistent dry lips, these are NOT recommended unless you use a lip balm underneath.  They do emphasize dry patches so please prep your lips before application.  I find all the colors very pigmented and creamy/slightly glossy but not as creamy as YSL Rouge Volupte where it's difficult to apply.  All the swatches were done with one swipe so you can imagine how vibrant and pigmented they are.

Here is 1-12 again under different lighting conditions. All of the colors are wearable and flattering on most skin tones which is definitely a plus.


If you love darker pinks or reds, I think Burberry excels at providing a wide variety of shades for the classic elegant look.  Burgundy lovers will like #21 while those looking for a bright coral orange will love #17.


Here is #13-21 again under different lighting conditions.  You can click on the pictures to see a larger view.


If you're not a lipstick type of gal, you can choose one of the 12 Lip Glow Natural Lip Glosses in the line.  These retail at $27USD which is in line with other high end brands such as Chanel, YSL, Dior, etc.  They are not sticky, have no strange smells, and are a cross between Chanel Aqualumiere and Dior glosses in my opinion.  The packaging is chic/modern with the checker cap and doe foot applicators.  Compared to other brands, they are slightly heavier and doesn't feel like cheap plastic.


Here are the swatches of all 12 glosses in order. After about a million photos, I finally figured out the best spot to capture the lipsticks and lipglosses. This is why you can see the colors much better in the swatches. #1, 4, and 7 are my top picks from this line. Coral lovers will love #8 while nude lovers will eye #9 and #10.  #7 has a duochrome look with a peachy pink type of frost. I have seen this color before in the Chanel permanent  line. #1 is a MLBB type of color that's fitting for a neutral gal like myself.


Overall I find the lip line very nice with good pigmentation and creaminess.  I like the smooth feel of them on the lips and how #2/3 brightened my face. The packaging is a definite plus for me because of how chic and unique they are.  For a high end brand, I'm glad Burberry put thought into their designs to modernize the classic lipstick packaging.

Coming in at $30USD for a lipstick and $27USD for a lipgloss, this is on par with other high end lines so are they worth it?  I think it really depends on personal preferences in terms of color, packaging, and types of lipstick. If you like creamy lipsticks that are pigmented with chic packaging, then yes most definitely.  These are not comparable to any other brands out there as they're in a league of their own.  I think Burberry started off well with the offering and I am excited to see more from the brand.  I'd love to see more light pinks, roses, and mauves in future collections.

What are your thoughts on these?

23 comments:

Laura Beth said...

Love the details on the product!

resham said...

OMG...can't thank you enough for the pains you took for everyone. Thanks to your hubbt dear aswell....:)

Dizzy said...

This is great! Thank you for sharing!
All the colors look so pigmented, lush, and beautiful.

prettyaspeaches said...

I'm loving your pictures of this collection. I sure hope we get this brand in San Diego sometime soon. Did you end up getting anything?

The Girly Tomboy said...

I love the Burberry line so much! It's got every kind of neutral. DROOL!

Thanks for all the swatches. You did a great job.

thestartsteam said...

Droool! I agree, the packaging is very unique. Thanks for such lovely swatches, you're amazing!

kali said...

I just fainted from love at first swatch. The lipsticks don't seem THAT expensive at $30 -that's cheaper than what I thought they'd be. I'm really digging 1, 2, 3, and 8 (for lipsticks.) As for the glosses, maybe 7, 9, and 5 but I'm not super feeling them.

Did you buy anything/what would you like to buy?

DANA said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!! I'm eyeing quite a number of them and oh gosh the packaging... especially the lipsticks, with checkered patterns on the actual lipstick... I can't wait to get my hands on some =)

discoremixx -♥ said...

OMG THE LIPSTICKS ARE DIVINE! ALL the shades look so beautiful and wearable and the packaging is to diiie for!

I'm also pleasantly surprised that these come at a fairly reasonable price. $30USD is less than the YSL Rouge Voluptes and Chanel Rouge Coco.

Makeup Magpie said...

Thank you, thank you! This is soooo helpful!

Dina (XYYan) said...

Thank you so much for the swatches! I feel satisfied with just looking at them cause I don't think I'll buy them :D.

samanthaloves said...

Gorgeous collection of lip products!

mixandmatchmakeup said...

The pictures you took of everything are incredible and the swatches are great! I loved the review and I really want to purchase some of these products! I can't wait until your next post! :)

Kristie said...

prettyaspeaches, kali - I spent all my budget on the eye products so didn't get to pick any lipstick or glosses.

Lene said...

OMG! the details on the lipstick are sooo cool!

PinkOrchids said...

Woah, their lipsticks look awesomeee!! I want one *wipes a tear*

Stephanie said...

I'm SO happy to see these swatches! I'm torn between #2 and #3. Do you remember the differences between them? #2 seems more pinky maybe?

Kristie said...

Hi Stephanie, #2 is lighter compared to #3. It is more peachy whereas #3 is brighter peachy pink. I hope that helps.

Brynn Harris said...

Hey there :) You have like, the only swatches I've seen really..
I want a nice pink colour, but I've been told Tea Rose is way too bright and fuschia, so I should go for Cameo Pink.. what do you think?? If you had to compare tea rose to a more common color from another brand, what would you say?

Kristie said...

Hi Brynn. Tea rose is definitely brighter compared to Cameo Rose. Cameo Rose is more of a peachy pink as opposed to a bright pink like Tea Rose. If you look at the lipgloss #5, that's how Tea Rose looks, and Cameo is closer to #7 lipgloss.

Tea Rose reminds me of MAC Lovelorn/Chatterbox type of color.

Beauty Products said...

Great collection of lipstick shades. I like the light shades very much would like to try some shades.

the scarecrow said...

Oh god Hibiscus looks beautiful. Rather pricey though! I just graduated so I don't even know if I can afford that (but oh how I wish I could). Thank you so much for the swatches, by the way, they really, really helped!

Anne JF said...

I just got one, #4 English Rose and completely love it!!! It feels so soft on my lips, it's not drying and the shade is great. I'm considering buying Pink Tulip now :D
Thanks for swatches

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!