Burberry Cosmetics Part III- Blush, Bronzer, Foundation, Lip/Eye Definer Swatches and Review

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

We're winding down to the rest of the products in the collection which includes:


6 Lip Definer Shaping Pencil  
5 Eye Definer Eye Shaping Pencil
5 Light Glow Natural Blush
4 Warm Glow Natural Bronzer
2 Sheer Luminous Pressed Powder
9 Sheer Luminous Compact Foundation
9 Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation

Starting off first with the Lip Definer Pencils retailing at $27USD in a modern square top cap instead of your usual round or oval shape.  The pencils are slick black with a gun metal cap that's consistent with the other products in the line.  These and the Eye Definer Pencils do not have the checkered patterns.


Similar to the lipsticks and lipglosses, these are also creamy and pigmented. Most of them give a satin finish with the exception of #1 Nude Beige with has slight shimmer. I think these will go very well with the lipsticks as a base to increase wear time.  I'm particularly fond of #1 for a nude look, #2 for a MLBB pop of color paired with a pink lipstick, and #5 for a classic come hither stare red that would be wearable for all skin tones.  Mauve/burgundy lovers will like #4. Since these are so creamy, I can imagine putting on #2 paired with #4 lipgloss for a pretty summer look.


Unlike the foundation or lipstick selection, Burberry has a modest offering of 5 blushes ranging from pale pink to rustic rose.  These retail for $42USD, similar to Chanel Joues de Contraste blushes and have a faint floral fragrance that isn't as strong as Chanel or Guerlain.  Each comes in a checkered pattern package and imprint on the blushes themselves with a small brush for application.


Here are the best swatches I could find under the dark lighting. #5 is coral but turns complete orange on me. It might be suitable for darker skin tones, but not sure about light/medium skin tones.  #1 is also very dark on me as a blush, even too much as a bronzer.  #2, 3 are more wearable for all skin tones, and #4 is better for light to light medium. It might look ashy on darker skin tones. The blushes show up in each swatch with 2 swipes and are very pigmented.  They are not as finely milled as Chanel or frosty as Dior blushes.  I do find these super smooth to the touch, but a bit powdery for my personal liking.  I hope Burberry will include more color selections in future collections.


There are also 4 bronzers included in the collection each retailing at $48USD.  They have the same checkered compact as the blushes but do not include a mini brush.  Unlike most small compact brushes, these are soft and not harsh or poke the face.  All of the colors are satin finish with the exception of #4 which has obvious shimmer.


Since I am already tanned, I usually don't use bronzers because I can never find a color that works on my skin tone.  Sadly this is the case with all 4 bronzers from Burberry's line.  They turned out very dark and either orange or dark brown on me.  If I had to choose one, #4 would be my top pick because of the nice slight shimmer it provides on the skin.  Keep in mind this was with only 2 swipes of the product. You can see how pigmented they are so a light hand is definitely needed.  The feel is smooth and slightly powdery similar to the blushes.


Only one color is currently offered for the Effortless Mascara Volumising Enhancer in Midnight Black. I did not test these on my eyelashes due to sanitary reasons of course.  The tube is clear plastic with a gun metal checkered cap.  It is definitely heavier compared to other mascaras such as Diorshow/MAC but weighs similar to Clarins. I find the brush head similar to Diorshow and maybe slightly smaller. 


With 9 different color choices for Sheer Luminous Compact Foundation, you are bound to find one that will best match your skin tone. Packaging is very chic with checkered gun metal case and a sponge held at the bottom of the compact for application.  Again it's not the usual snap and click compacts, but rather a smooth magnetic closing mechanism. These retail at $55USD, very similar to other high end brands.


This is as close to the true color as I could get from the lighting.  #2 has the most pink undertone while #5 has the most yellow undertone.


On my arm, you can't quite see the pink in #2 but definitely the beige and yellow in #3 and #5.  For my skin tone, I'm leaning more towards 4/5 because I'm more yellow toned.  #1 would be good for light skin tone ladies.  There are also 6,7,8,9 which are darker shades that may be suitable for darker skin tone ladies. Each of the swatches took again 2 swipes so these powders are definitely buildable for a light/medium coverage.  Very smooth to the feel and not as powdery compared to the blushes or bronzers.





















Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation also has 9 shades if you prefer liquid over powder foundation. These come in at $52USD in a very nice clear plastic pump package closed by a large checkered cap.


I did not do swatches of all 9 but did try the foundation on my face in #5.  It felt very creamy and smooth on my skin but not overly heavy.  The texture reminds me a lot of my La Mer The Treatment Creme Foundation but does not make the T-zones an oily mess at the end of a long day.  It's hard to describe the texture..creamy/mousse yet liquidy.  All I know is it felt very comfortable on the skin and did not separate or become blotchy throughout the 8 hr wear time.  If you have dry patches, these will emphasize them so for ladies with persistent dry skin, I'd recommend testing this out in store before purchasing.


Last but not least, there are 5 Eye Definer Pencils in this collection with all classic colors such as black, blue, purple, brown, and green.  These retail at $27USD with similar packaging as the Lip Definer Pencils.  I have been looking for a nice brown pencil that's smooth on application and doesn't smear or disappear after a long work day that's comparable to my Lancome Eye Pencils.  I keep on repeating the same words over and over in every post but yes..these are incredibly pigmented and smooth.  Two swipes and the colors come out so vibrantly on the skin.  I love every single one of them but found #2 the most useful for my everyday use.  If I had the budget, I'd pick up all of them because the colors (especially 4 and 5) are gorgeous!  #1 is your basic black, #2 is the brown with gold shimmer, #3 is a khaki green with gold shimmer, #4 and #5 speak for themselves.


What's even better with these pencils? Each come with their own Burberry sharpener! Imagine my surprise when I opened the box to find this with the pencil.  I'm not sure if the Lip Definer also has it as well.  It's too dark here for me to take swatches of the brown but I'll update the post with it later.

Update: I've worn the Eye Definer in #2 for a couple of times now and sadly they are a disappointment.  The color smudges and fades after about 4-5 hours wear time on a regular day. They don't hold up at all on my lower lash but keep in mind I do have oily lids.  However, at $27USD, I really expected them to outperform MAC, Urban Decay, or even MUFE at lower prices.  If you are looking for staying power, I would not recommend these. If you generally don't have oily lids or don't care about wear time, then splurge on Burberry as the colors are beautiful.


There you have it folks, after 4 hours at the counter, 535 photos, countless makeup wipes, and a very patient husband, I bring to you the best coverage I can of the Burberry cosmetics collection.  I spent most of my budget on all the eye products (4 eyeshadows, 1 eye definer pencil) so I didn't get to bring any lip or face products home.  The definite standout products in my opinion are eyeshadows, lipsticks, and liquid foundations in terms of pigmentation, feel, and texture.  Burberry's packaging is unique, chic, and modern which makes the line stand out from other brands.  I know this is currently offered exclusively only at 8 Nordstrom locations nationwide but if you are interested in picking up a product, you can order it online or call Susie for any questions.  If you live close enough to a counter, please do check it out in person, it will not disappoint.  I also hope these series of posts have been helpful to all of you who do not have a counter offered in your state/country.

32 comments:

prettyaspeaches said...

Those pencils are badass! I'm of course very interested in their foundation now. Thanks so much for such an indepth overview of Burberry!

coffretgorge said...

Hi Kristie! WOW thanks for the informative post, i appreciate the time and effort it took to make this post :)

i wish i was at san francisco right now so i can go to nordie's and see for myself! i want to touch that nova check print on the blushers hahaha! the mascara packaging is so luxe! i wonder if it works as great as it looks? :)

AnNeTtEe said...

wow!! great swatches... thanks for sharing!! the #4 Peony blush & all four of the eye definer pencils caught my eye... they are sooo pigmented... I love it!!!

Dina (XYYan) said...

Thank you so much for all of these information! They really help a lot for me to know Burberry cosmetic line :).

Penelope said...

Thanks for the swatches! I'll definately be checking out Rose blush #3, and Eye pencil #5 next time i'm down in London!

MUA said...

2 and 3 lipsticks are just yummy !!!!
4 and 5 eye liners : amazing....

I can't believe you spent 4 hours doing that research for your readers ...You 're just amazing !

Caro xxxx and xxxxx

Makeup Magpie said...

Thanks again for the great photos & swatches. :) I ordered the Midnight Plum shadow & liner and a few lip products and the Peony blush.

Cherry said...

Thanks for the swatches Kristie! ^0^ The packaging for the mascara is quite interesting, I thought, haha!~~

mixandmatchmakeup said...

Wow 4 hours at the Burberry counter?! That's dedication!!!
Thanks so much for going so in-depth about the Burberry line... you provided such great information and took so many awesome pictures! :)

I can't wait to pick up some of these products... the #3 Midnight Ash and #5 Eye Definer Pencil look beautiful!

Kristie said...

Thanks for stopping by Anya!

kali said...

I would love #4 if it was a lipstick. The #4 eyeliner is also beautiful but I have too many blue eyeliners that I never use!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the swatches and the review.

Jenny said...

wow! i love the whole packaging of the burberry line! everything looks so luxurious! thanks for the review and great swatches! how do you do it anyways? the ladies at the counter let you swatch and take pictures without being annoying? hehehe

Astrid said...

I really like the lip definer in number 2, they look as though you could get away with just wearing it with some vaseline over the top for the daytime, thanks for swatching!

Laura Beth said...

Omg the no. 4 pencil is amazing!!

samanthaloves said...

I'm loving the eye definer pencils! I love how they're square and that they come with a sharpener. Thanks for the photos/swatches Kristie!

coffretgorge said...

thanks kristie! i appreciate your feedback :)

Diane said...

I'm stupid I should have picked up some of the eyeliners and lipliners. Haha!

I picked up a couple Burberry lipsticks and 1 lip gloss I haven't posted yet. I need to hurry and get those posts up, I've been so lazy this week =P

Pinch said...

The square packaging on these pencils are so pretty! I love the range of neutral liners, and they did SO well with their packaging! Hope the products live up to all the prettiness of it :)

Nic Nic said...

wow, the blushes look really gorgeous! I saw this featured in the UK glamour magazine too :) thanks for the awesome swatches!

Dizzy said...

Lip Definer Pencils are so pretty!

ami said...

thank u for the swatch
im using nw25 and nc30(like this shade more)
my skin tone more to yellow. ND ALSO I 40 FROM SHISIDOE do u think i should buy #5 for foundation or compact. (ill buy it online not available in my country to check it
thank u

Kristie said...

Hi Ami, I'm NC25/NC30 and I'm a #5 in both the liquid foundation and a #5 in powder foundation. #5 is a perfect match whereas #3 is a bit lighter. I hope that helps.

resham said...

The series was very helpful for sure....The shape of the liner is so cool...

Nell said...

thank you so much for your work, soooo helpful! You are great!!!

ami said...

Hi Kristie thank u for ur help ill keep following ur blog

sweetart said...

wow. this is wonderful!!!

Peony looks awfully light but you said you think it would work on all skin tones (as opposed to #2 Cameo)? Just want to make sure =)

also, I think I'm in between NC30-35 right now, do you think the foundation would be 6 then if you are #5? TIA!

Kristie said...

Hi Sweetart - Thanks for pointing out the typo. #2 blush is much more pink in comparison to Peony. Peony is a light pink whereas Cameo is a medium Pink. Peony is best for lighter skin tones as it can be a bit light/ashy on darker ladies. I do have to emphasize these blushes are a bit on the powdery side.

I'm NC25-NC30 and is a #5. For NC30-NC35, it's #6 borderline #7. I think #7 might be a bit dark for you. Amy did a great job of swatching the foundations on her blog. Hopefully this will help you decide which # is better.

http://cafemakeup.com/2010/08/burberry-beauty-foundation-swatches-of-all-shades/

Anonymous said...

It's not checker. It's plaid. That's what they are famous for "The Burberry Plaid". And if you must, it's chequered/checkered not checker.

Kristie said...

Anon - Thank you for the correction. Appreciate the feedback.

zmsen said...

a great post

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!