NYX I Dream Of St. Lucia Eyeshadow Palette Swatches and Review

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Aside from single eyeshadows and trios, NYX also has 5 color eyeshadow palettes under The Caribbean Collection. These retail at $8.75USD for 0.28oz/8g.  There are a total of 10 different palettes in the collection and I Dream Of St. Lucia is a standout with bright colors fitting for this year's scorching summer.

The palette comes in a slick glossy black case which looks exactly the same as the packaging shown below.  I love the touch of a palm tree in the picture to give it a Caribbean feel. 


One thing I really appreciate about NYX is the list of ingredients on both the packaging and the palette.  There are some products where looking for the ingredients is like finding a needle in a haystack.  Here, I know exactly what is in product and where it was manufactured.  The packaging is recyclable so please recycle instead of throwing them in the garbage to help the environment.  Also note there is an expiration to the palette which is 12M as noted by the jar symbol.  This is standard on all cosmetics packaging if you ever want to know the life cycle of a product.


This palette is certainly not for the color shy and is very fitting for The Caribbean Collection.  The colors are bold and bright! Each palette includes a mirror and two sponge applicators.  I always appreciate the mirrors because I can use this on travel without having to pack an extra mirror in the luggage.  The sponge applicators are the usual that go in palettes which I never tend to use. However, when you forget to pack makeup brushes, they can come in handy.


The colors in this palette are definitely buildable depending on the intensity of the look you are trying to create.  Right out of the pan with one swipe, the most pigmented and vibrant color are orange and yellow.  The green/blue/pink takes 2 swipes to show up, which is not bad at all.  Below are how the colors look in darker/indoors lighting.


Out of the five, yellow is the only one with a frosty shimmery finish that is similar to MAC Gorgeous Gold. I'm particularly fond of the pink which reminds me a lot of Lady Gaga Bubblegum lipstick. 


Here are the colors in natural lighting where they look much softer.


For days when I want to do a light wash of green or blue, these colors are definitely great choices.  I'm not sure how I would wear the orange but I'm sure most of you can find creative ways for it.  As with most NYX shadows, you will need to use an eyeshadow base to increase wear time.  These are not exactly matte but maybe more satin finish. Do pat them onto the eye instead of sweeping to maintain the vibrancy.  I find that sweeping tends to soften and lighten these colors on the lid.


Overall, I like NYX  I Dream Of St. Lucia Eyeshadow Palette as a compliment to my every day neutral eyeshadow collection.  It is definitely a much brighter set of color that is pigmented but wearable.  However, these do not have the same shimmer/frost or extra dimensions compared to NYX single eyeshadows.  The singles also feel smoother and a bit more vibrant in my opinion. If there is one particular color you like from a palette, do try to find it in from the single eyeshadow line. For those new to makeup and are looking to build a small kit, I would definitely recommend checking out NYX Cosmetics.  The brand has great quality products with very affordable pricing. They can be found in some local stores such as Amuse or nyxcosmetics.com.

What are your thoughts on this palette?  Which color speaks to you the most?

20 comments:

Rainy Days and Lattes said...

LOVE these colors! They are so bright and island-y gorgeous :D

Nikkia (Silver Lips) said...

pretty palette! how did I miss this one? Loving that pink color especially

KrySTYLES said...

I picked this up for my sis inlaw and I'm wishing I got on for myself!

kali said...

This is really pretty -but I don't know if I'd use the colors so I can't buy it! (No more makeup that I'm not for sure going to use.)

The pink really does look like MAC Gaga lipstick. I really like the yellow and orange.

resham said...

The colors look pretty, but not something that I would use often. The blue color is lovely. That with the Gold color in palette wud make a nice combo....

Blusherine said...

these colors look great! i love the green and the teal even though i rarely wear these colors myself!

Pinch said...

My favourite is the yellow, which looks like more of a goldeny champagny colour. I like the palette, but feel like I have enough of them in my stash - in a bit of neutral phase =)

Dina (XYYan) said...

The colors look very pigmented! Thanks for the swatches :)

Kat O said...

They're very pretty colours for summer, but of course I have to be boring and like the yellow one the most - it would look great as an inner corner highlight :) I'm yet to give NYX products a whirl, they look fab.
Kat x Click&Make-Up!

Sulora said...

Such pretty swatches! The colors look so playful.

Dizzy said...

The palette looks great; the packaging is so cute and great price!
And that orange color looks so pretty!

prettyaspeaches said...

Pretty colors! I haven't seen this palette in my area yet :(

LittoMokaa said...

Whoa love the colors of this palette! It's so exotic! Thanks for you comment on my blog and the Shiseido lippie is scent-free ^_^

MUA said...

NYX is such a good brand. I was quite disappointed with the trios so I tend to stick to singles. Lately I discovered a place where they sold the pigments : Oro is like liquid gold on the lid !

Tip for the Orange : yellow in the inner corner, orange middle lid and a fushia in the outer V . You have a sunset eye ....

Caro xxx

The Bimbo said...

It's so pretty!!! I love the colours.

greystrawberrys said...

I hate how UKers can't get NYX, heard about the brand so much and everyone says it's great! =(

xoxox

Lene said...

Wow the orange seems so bright, actually all of them look bright :) Nice for summer~

Astrid said...

ohh that looks very summery! I've never tried NYX before but everyone seems to like it so I'll have to try and get hold of some products, thanks for the review :)

Twinn said...

I love love nyx products those colors are so
pretty I might have to just check
their items online =)

Marilou said...

OHHHHHH I WANT THIS the colour looks amazing, you should make an look of the day with one of these :-)

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!