If you guessed anything along the line of organic/natural/green, you're absolutely right. After years of slabbing all sorts of ingredients on my face, I found the perfect balance with natural/organic products. Every magazine tells us the same thing: acne can be cured with Benzoyl Peroxide or Salicylic Acid and that's exactly what I followed. Proativ, Neutrogena, Peter Thomas Roth, Dermadoctor, Benoxyl - you name it, I used it. At first the products work but they always dried out the skin, requiring a thicker moisturizer or over production of oil that eventually caused clogged pores, resulting in yet another vicious cycle of breakouts.
Can the magazines be wrong? Why aren't any of these methods working? I kept buying one product after another that contained either one of these ingredients but nothing worked! Finally I was really fed up and started perusing the natural/organic skincare lines. I found Boscia and Kiehls at Sephora and Nordstrom respectively. After using only the Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel and Kiehls Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol-Free Toner to restore PH levels after cleansing, my skin is the best it's ever been in my entire life. I no longer break out and my dark acne scar pigmentation are slowly healing/diminishing. These products contain no parabens (update: Kiehls has methylparen but Boscia does not), alcohol, or sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate.
It has been a tough long journey and I'm proud to say that I'm a new convert to organic skincare. I highly recommend it for those who have super sensitive skin that are acne prone. It really works for me and I truly hope it will for you as well. Take a break from slathering your face with harsh chemicals and give the natural skincare line a second glance. You might just find the recipe that your skin's been waiting for.
What are some names I leave at the door?
- Silicones - clogs pores and causes breakouts
- Benzoyl Peroxide - dries out skin with continuous use and sensitive to sunlight; increases sunburn without SPF protection
- Salicylic Acid - similar to Benzoyl Peroxide but less harsh on the skin; exfoliates top layer of skin and makes it thinner, more sensitive to sunlight. Increases sunburn without SPF protection.
- Alcohol/Alcohol Denat - dries out skin in high content. Watch out for products with these ingredients as the 1st or 2nd on the list.
- Bismuth Oxychloride - clogs pores and causes severe breakouts. Think deep painful cysts!
- Talc - can clog pores in sensitive skin
- Mineral Oil - clog pores with prolonged used. As much as I love my La Mer, I can only use it sparingly and only in emergency cases.