YSL Rouge Volupte Pearle Lipsticks Swatches and Review

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

This fall, YSL released 6 Rouge Volupte Perle Lipsticks leaving the lips with a soft pearl shine.  You can find them at local Nordstrom counters, Nordstrom online, and Yves Saint Laurent website.  Since these are Limited Edition lipsticks, they all have slightly different packaging with a white cover behind the YSL logo instead of the usual hot pink.  Each retail for $34USD - the same price as the original Rouge Volupte Lipsticks. Images from Nordstrom website.



Let's jump to the swatches!
YSL is one of the few lines that have unique packaging for their lipsticks in the Rouge Volupte line. Each of the lipsticks is house in a gold metallic case with a mirror included on top of the caps.  These cases are heavier than your typical lipstick packaging.  Since they are so unique, you can spot a YSL Rouge Volupte right away without having to guess the brand.

One important thing to note is all YSL Rouge Volupte ( original + Pearle) have very strong watermelon/rosy fragrances. If you don't like strong perfume in your lipsticks, this will not be suitable for you - especially since the smell lingers for quite some time post application.

These are different from the traditional YSL Rouge Volupte because they look glossier/shinier and have shimmer. I find these are more sheer in comparison with the original formula which might be great for those afraid of bold colors. They feel moisturizing on the lips but be weary of the glitter, because they migrate everywhere if you rub them off or accidentally wipe your lips. Five out of the 6 colors are soft shimmery shades that are wearable for all skintones.  The darkest and boldest shade is #106 - suitable for vampy lip lovers.

#101 Beige Caress  - I didn't get to swatch b/c of missing tester
#102 Coral Sun is a beautiful light coral with multi-pearl. This would be a great light coral nude lips for most skin tones.
#103 Sparkling Pink is a medium to fuschia pink with pink and multi-color pearl. 
#104 Stellar Pink is a gorgeous MLBB pink with multi-color pearl
#105 Insolent Beige is more of a warm tone medium red with multi-color pearl. I'm not sure where the "beige" comes from so the name is quite misleading.
#106 Mesmerizing Purple is a dark eggplant with multi-color pearl.

Swatches in darker lighting:


Swatches in natural lighting:


Overall I find these much more moisturizing compared to the original Rouge Volupte. They glide on effortlessly without clumping or requiring preparation of the lips beforehand. The multi-color pearl in each color gives it a really nice dimension, which the camera can't fully capture.  These will look soft, shimmery, and glossy on the lips.  They feel more like a lipstick gloss version of the original Rouge Volupte.

Despite the gorgeous wearable colors, I am a bit bothered by their incredibly strong fragrance.  If you're not sensitive to perfume in your lipsticks then this shouldn't be an issue.  Another downside is the migration of shimmer around the mouth/nostril so you have to be careful after eating or drinking.

Neutral lovers will find #101-104 wearable, especially 102 and 104.  Bolder lip lovers will love 103, 105 and 106.  I personally love #102 for a soft coral lip paired with smokey eye, #104 for a MLBB (my lips but better) look, and #105 for a night out on the town.

Do you own any YSL Rouge Volupte?  Which color will you be picking up from the Pearle line?

18 comments:

wuguimei said...

Oh my, 102 is gorgeous. Can't have too many corals, haha. Thanks for the swatches!

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

Gorgeous. My lips are so darkly pigmented that most colours don't even show up on my lips, so I dont think these would be for me unfortunately

Sydney at PetiteGorgeous said...

My favorites are 2, 3, and 5 :).

Miss Tiff said...

Oh my god! I'm totally loving coral sun and stellar pink. They are such gorgeous colours. They are such wearable colours <3 Thanks for the swatches! They look lovely as usual.

coffretgorge said...

i really like stellar pink! whats MLBB? hahaha!

Kristie said...

Georgina- MLBB = my lips but better :)

Dina (XYYan) said...

102 and 104 are so pretty! Thanks for the swatches :)

Keirasluckycharm said...

105 is so pretty! love the swatches thanks!

Karrie said...

i like 102 and 104, i'm not sure which colour is better, they look very similar to me 104 is a little bit darker

Nic Nic said...

THANK YOU for the swatches... 102 and 104 look pretty and wearable!

LittoMokaa said...

ooooo they look so nice! Love #102 but I don't really like shimmers =/ Might take a look at it! Maybe it isn't what I expected x)

resham said...

104 is stunning!!! Thank you for the swatches...:)

Rainy Days and Lattes said...

I find the lighter pinks are more my taste. I have to go check these babies out! They are all lovely :)

Dizzy said...

I’ve wanted to buy a YSL lipstick for a very long time, but I can never find a color that really catches my eye? These colors look great but IDK, I think I'm going to pass.

Pinch said...

Thanks! Number 104 looks like such a perfect everyday-colour :)

Mookxi said...

Ooh 103 & 106 ! I don't know why .. I'm always attracted to dark, not-so-versatile colours X-D Anywho, I sing so I feel like I need to wear something that will POP and make people focus on my lips ! X-D

I own three lipsticks from rouge volupte and all three are equally unflattering on my lips ;-x I don't think I pull off light pink/nude colours unfortunately. Thank you for these swatches ;-)

Anonymous said...

are you all Asian ?

Anonymous said...

hi

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!