Sephora Hello Kitty Perfume Review

Friday, January 21, 2011

Whenever I think of Hello Kitty, I'm reminded of my giddy 10-year old inner child.  Sure I don't have a room plastered with Hello Kitty apparel, plush dolls, or even stickers, but there's just something about her that's hard to resist.  Maybe it's the reminiscent of my childhood that gets me so excited about Sephora's newest collaboration with the most adored kitty of all time. 


When I first got the Beauty Insider invitation, I visited the website pretty late and everything was sold out.  Given that I didn't really care for the makeup, my heart dropped when the mirrors and fragrances were also gone.  Fortunately Sephora was doing a sneak peek at the time and the collection is now back online.  So when I got the 2nd notification, I was quicker than Speedy Gonzales and immediately placed my order to avoid the same fiasco from last time. My order finally arrived at night and I was more than ecstatic to play with the items.  I will review the perfume first and other products in subsequent posts.

Now I'm going to be frank and admit I bought the perfume only for the ridiculously cute Hello Kitty head- shape bottle.  It doesn't really helpthat the pink atomizer was also included, which fueled my lemming even more.  I know can I always reuse the bottle for another fragrance when it runs out. The Eau de Parfum has 1.7 fl oz and retails at $55USD.


The perfume comes nicely packaged with a cute bow sticker on top. I thought that was cute although I can't save it after tearing open the plastic wrapping.


I like the white packaging compared to black.


Once you open the box, you'll immediately see the atomizer. The inside of the box is all pink which I find rather girly but sweet.


Flip open the flap and you'll see the bottle sitting snugly at the bottom of the box.  As I unwrap the packaging, I'm greeted with a lovely floral scent. 


I was super excited to see the bottle because it is just as pretty as the image online.  The glass bottle has a plastic top and the fragrance itself is pink.  However, I came to the realization that it was poorly designed because some of the fragrance has already spilled inside the box. 


It seems like there is a small gap at  the bottom of the cap, which causes the fragrance to leak during transport. Maybe I got a lemon but the entire bottle was coated with fragrance when I took it out.  Needless to say, I was less than pleased.

Aside from the leakage, the bottle is definitely beautiful and certainly chic sitting on a vanity table.  Here she is again tilted so you can see her face a bit better.  The bow seems pretty sturdy on the bottle. I wouldn't say this is a childish looking bottle, but rather a grown up version of Hello Kitty.


You can remove the original cap and replace it with the atomizer.  When you squeeze the pink weave atomizer, a light spritz of perfume comes out.  This is great for the wrist and neck area where you don't want too much perfume.


I was truly half expecting the fragrance to smell bad but was nicely surprised by the scent.  It is a light floral smell that isn't too sweet or obnoxious.  Since my hand was covered with it from the leak, my first thought was grapefruit.  Unfortunately that wasn't on the list of ingredients at all.  The notes as listed on Sephora are: Cassis Sorbet, Italian Mandarin, Apple, Magnolia Blossom, Freesia, Orange Flower, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Musk. I actually like the smell for an everyday office use.

Overall, I love the glass bottle design, atomizer, and the fact that when I'm done with this, I can refill with another fragrance.  I am disappointed to see the poor cap design since this is a $55USD fragrance and I shouldn't be seeing leaks.  I will also tell you that the fragrance has poor wear time.  It dissipates rather quickly after an hour.  By the end of 2 hours, I couldn't even tell I ever had it on.  I'm sure if you spray a ton all over your body, you may be able to detect a slight scent after some time. 

Bottom line: If you're a Hello Kitty collector, this might be worth adding to your collection.  If you're on a budget, I'd say skip.  It is cute but for $55USD, there are plenty of high end perfumes out there with a similar scent that have better wear time.

20 comments:

Kat said...

I want this so bad, but Sephora don't deliver to the UK :(

Tammy said...

The bottle is so cute!! I love the packaging, but I don't think I could justify spending that much on perfume that I didn't love the smell of it :S

Curves ahead makeup said...

this was a great review so detailed thanks so much !!!

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

Great review. I love the sound of the smell and can't wait to check it out.
I also love the look of the bottle. Hello Kitty is just too cute.
xx

kali said...

Great review! I'd say exchange it for a NON damaged bottle.

♥sormui♥ said...

The bottle is sooo cute! Ill have to smell it out when I see it!

Keirasluckycharm said...

The bottle is really cute. Thanks for the review it was helpful :-)

saranghaeyo said...

oh my.. packaging/bottle is SO cute! Thanks for the review :]

♥sormui♥ said...

no I havent tried Dior 360... thats the one that vibrates right? I heard its suppose to look the same as dior show!

Rinz said...

how pretty!!! i want one too now!

Dizzy said...

Great post! I would really like one, but I think Im going to skip this. Like you said unless your an HK collector it might be worth it, for me I think it won't.

resham said...

The bottle is cute and Girly...It would look so pretty on vanity table in a well co-ordinated room...Those cute rooms...:)

Kristie said...

Kat - aww sorry to hear. Maybe a friend can do a CP for you.

Tammy - agree. I think most people purchase for the bottle but the scent isn't too bad, just doesn't last too long.

Curves ahead makeup - np! Thanks for your kind comment.

FunnyFaceBeauty - Let me know how you like it, Alicia.

kali - Definitely. Sephora CS is excellent and will be sending me a replacement.

♥sormui♥ - definitely check it out when they hit the counters!

Keirasluckycharm - np. I'm glad it was helpful for you.

saranghaeyo - isn't it so cute? ;)

Rinz - grab one when they hit the stores!

Dizzy - I know where you're coming from. It is quite a bit of money.

resham - haha I know what you mean. The super white chic rooms that's well-coordinated.

Ashleigh said...

agreed on the fragrance lasting time. i put it on my wrist and the smell was gone after around 2 hours. its a beautiful scent though. i am definitely glad i purchased the roller ball so i can take this with me on the go. also, if you buy anything at sephora now, and have 100 points on your beauty insider card to spend, you can get a mini size for free!

Anonymous said...

i cannot wait to see this hello kitty perfum to arrive in SAUDIA ARABIA

Anonymous said...

I bought it for my daughter on her 7th Bday, after few uses, atomizer would not work, the rubber bulb came off the nozle and its impossible to put it back on without tearing pink cover. Huge dissapointment.

Anonymous said...

can anybody tell me the price please. my final project is about this product..... and i don't know where to find this perfume. can anybody help me.. i'm from malaysia.

Kristie said...

Anonymous - the perfume is $55usd and is sold exclusively at sephora.

Anonymous said...

my boyfriend is supposed to buy this for me.. i hope her does <3 it smells SO good better than the justing bieber on although the justin beiber one last for a LONG time

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge hk fan/collector so I was so happy to get this & the roller girl piece for xmas, its so cute that the liquid is light pink in color. I love the scent honestly and you're right its floral but not obnoxious, I do believe it actually lasts for a long time, I've had it on for about 9 hours now and it still smells great

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!