Stila Make Me Blush Palette Swatches and Review

Monday, January 31, 2011

Stila is a brand that I've often seen sold at Sephora and Costco.  I have never been tempted to pick up anything from them until I saw the Make Me Blush Palette.  Inspired by valentine's conversation hearts, this is a multi-color blush retailing for a super affordable price of $14USD.


It is a 0.34oz blush which weighs only 0.1oz less compared to MAC's Marine Life Highlighter. The blush comes in a very simple cardboard box that's quite sturdy. You can find the ingredients listed on the back for consideration. For those of you who are allergic to talc and dimethicone, this might not be for you. 


The Make Me Blush Palette comes in a round compact that's thin and light.  I love the clear top lid so I can quickly pick out the product in a drawer. 



The bottom of the compact includes more information on the blush such as weight and where it was produced.  Interestingly this came from China and distributed in Los Angeles. 

Open up the lid and you'll see a beautiful blush palette with raised heart shapes in light pink, blue-tone medium pink, and coral.  The heart conversations have a gold over-spray on the top layer with words such as "kisses, stila, xoxo, I heart you".



Here's another shot.  The hearts are not flat, but slightly raised in the pan to give a nice 3-D effect.  It's a very beautiful blush, much more stunning in person.


There is also slight shimmer infused throughout the entire blush as shown below.


Swatches of the blush starting from the left: mixture of all the colors, gold over spray heart, coral heart, and medium peachy pink heart.


The texture of this blush is incredibly smooth and velvety.  It is very pigmented as you can see in the swatch, which took 2 swipes for each color.  I was quite sad the gold over spray disappeared so quickly after each swatch.  Once the top layer is gone, all you have left is the original color at the bottom. Those of you who are not fond of gold shimmer might be glad to know this.


Right after swatching the palette, I immediately thought of MAC's Marine Life as a possible dupe or vice versa.  Both have pink, bright coral, and a gold over-spray.  So naturally I had to do a comparison between the two.  They also have clear top lids and are very close in size/weight.


Up close, Stila's Make Me Blush over spray is a brighter gold compared to Marine Life's metallic gold on the seahorse. 


MAC Marine Life's pink is much lighter in color compared to Make Me Blush.  The coral color is more watermelon pink compared to a coral red in MMB.  This actually looks a lot more like MAC's Bite of an Apple Blush from the Venomous Villains Collection. Marine Life and Make Me Blush look the same in the pan but are not exactly the same.  However, I think you can use Marine Life to create the mixture of colors (pinky coral with gold sheen) in MMB.



Overall, I really like Stila's Make Me Blush Palette. The colors are beautiful and the texture is buttery smooth.  If you missed out on Marine Life, I think this will be a good alternative for half the price. Who can turn down a $14USD blush with such great pigmentation? One downside is the tacl and dimethicone, which I know will aggravate my skin with daily usage.

I highly recommend picking up this blush from the Stila website using  20% off and free shipping with code STILAVIP code STYLEWATCH for 30% off. I got this for $12USD after tax from the website. If you want to try Stila's lip products, Sephora has the blush & 2 lip glazes for $20USD.

Update: sorry everyone, the STILAVIP code no longer works but STYLEWATCH for 30% is still valid.

Will Stila make you blush?

30 comments:

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

Wow such a cute product. I love all of the hearts. I would say when swirled together it's a pretty good dupe for MAC's Marine Life.
Thanks for the swatches
xx
Alicia

Dizzy said...

Super cute! I would get it 8)

PinkOrchids said...

So gorgeous!!! Wish i could get my hands on it!

MEOW said...

if u pick up all the colors together in the stila, does it look really red?
i think its super cute though!

C@r!ie said...

Benefit also came out with Bella Bamba, which reminds me of the Stila and MAC blushes in this blog. Honestly, I think all of these are VERY similar to cult classic NARS Orgasm. When swirled together on a make-up brush they all look the same.

♥sormui♥ said...

Thx for the review! I didnt even think of my Marine Life when I saw this, guess i probably won't get this as I wasnt so fond of Marine Life, I just bought it cuz it was soo pretty. Its too bright for me

Kristie said...

FunnyFaceBeauty - It is similar to Marine Life, just a touch more coral.

Dizzy - Hope you like it! Use the code for 20% off.

PinkOrchids - Stila doesn't do shipping to UK?

MEOW - no it's not red but a tinge coral with some gold shimmer. It's quite lovely depending on how much pink or coral you add :)

C@r!ie - They are similar but Bella Bamba has a lot more shimmer. Marine Life/Orgasm/MMB have subtle shimmer in comparison. But you are spot on, these are all in the same peach/coral/pink mix color family!

♥sormui♥ - aww did you like the light pink side of Marine Life? The coral side is definitely bright.

faye lu review said...

oh my goodness - this is TOO cute!!! *EYES TWINKLE* too pretty to swatch. perfect v-day present .. nudge nudge to my partner as i type. thanks for sharing

the Honey B said...

i LOVE my marine life! this blush is gorgeous too!

pinkribbons said...

This is way too cute to use, I'm sure this will sell out soon.

Beauty Reductionista said...

It's so pretty! And your picture quality is amazing. I could stare at that blush all day long.

codyeve said...

2 be honest If i didnt already have marine life I'd prefer this. It doesn't have so much of the dark color, which I prefer cuz it's 2 much 4 me. This looks softer, less harsh.

Sara S. said...

i ordered it last night yay

Barbie said...

It's gorgeous! I wish the gold didn't disappear though! :( Good to know though, thanks for the post!!!


www.beautyblogxo.blogspot.com

Keirasluckycharm said...

Thats awesome dupe! i am going to check it out next time i go to sephora. Thanks for sharing.

Rinz said...

hi Kristie!! Those are great pictures!! :)) anyways, what foundation do u normally use?

coffretgorge said...

Kristie! this stilla palette is too friggin cute! the hearts are reason enough for me to get one! hahaha! thank you for the swatches babe! im huntung for this :P

RYC: yes JS cosmetics are a bit pricey, but what can i do, it just gets me every time too! any idea what i can do with the toxic primer? >.<

gingerSnap said...

Great pics! This is gorgeous. I wish the gold color stay.

gingerSnap said...

Great pics! This cheek color is gorgeous. I wish the gold color stay.

Blusherine said...

That's such a cute compact! And I love the fact that the gold doesn't come out too much! You really took great pictures, awesome pictures!

Anonymous said...

The code STILAVIP for free shipping and 20% off is no tworking on thestila website, it is telling me the code is invalid?

Kristie said...

Hi Anon - sorry about that. Looks like the promotion for 20% and free shipping is no longer valid. The 30% code of STYLEWATCH is still working. My apologies.

PinkyKathy said...

I wanna try this blush!! thanks for visiting my blog :)

Diane said...

OMG this blush is so cute! I have to get it, thanks for the swatches and all the info!

Tamara said...

What a great find, while it's not an exact match for Marine Life - it's certainly close enough to be an alternative.

Thanks for the comparison swatches too, they're great! :]

Agmini said...

Is this a limited edition product?

Kristie said...

Agmini - Yes, I believe it is limited edition.

Justine (Productrater) said...

I saw this blush when I was paying for my stuff at sephora the day, right up by the counter, never paid much attention to Stila before, but this blush is beautiful and your images are gorgeous as usual! :)

resham said...

the pattern is so pretty...the color lovely...
I would not feel like digging my brush in it...

Anonymous said...

I have this blush. I was sad that the first swirl took away all the gold hearts and I was only left with the pinks. It goes on quite bright pink. But I love that I own it.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!