MAC Wonder Woman Collection: MSF Swatches and Review

Friday, February 11, 2011

MAC's Wonder Woman Collection offers two gigantic Mineralize Skinfinish products.  These retail for $35USD and are double the size of a regular MSF.   When I saw these in person, I was very surprised at how ridiculously big they are compared to a regular blush. I was looking forward to checking out Pink Power, the first product that was sold out online. Surprisingly it was also sold out at several local counters about 30 mins to 1 hr after the stores opened.

If you live in the Bay Area and really want to grab one, I recommend calling Francisco at Macy's (408-274-0391) and booking an appointment for this weekend's WW event.  I believe there may be more of these available. As of now, they're completely sold out both online and at Valleyfair freestanding store.


 All of the products in this collection come in a white box with a picture of Wonder Woman in a fighting stance.  The name and symbol for Wonder Woman are printed in shiny gold letters.


The inside of each box also has white stars on a blue background.  I thought that was rather neat.


I can't help but think of the American flag based on the red, white, and blue color scheme in this collection. The gold rim around the edges of these also give it a nice DC Comic touch.


Here's a size comparison between a regular MSF and Pink Power.  Doesn't this look like MSF on steroids?


Pink Power is unique in that it's an all-in-one type of product.  The lightest color can be used as a highlighter, the middle satin brown color for bronzer, and the soft shimmery pink can be used as a blush. I love the versatility of this product for travel so I don't have to bring 3 different products.  The down side is the lack of a mirror for on-the-go application.


Swatches of each color taken with flash shown below.  I like how the bronzer is not too orange or brown, which helps compliment my skin tone much better when sheered out.  The highlighter and blush are both slightly frosty but not overly glittery.


In direct sunlight, all 3 colors are soft and beautiful.


The bottom color of this MSF reminds me of Guerlain Blush G's light/medium pink stripes. From first glance, Pink Power's pink color looks like a combination of the bottom 2 light pink shades in Guerlain Blush G.


In the swatch with flash, Guerlain Blush G's colors are cooler in tone and have more shimmer. However, Stereo Rose is a tad closer in comparison.  The pink color in Pink Power MSF is not as frosty compared to SR and not as coral.


In direct sunlight, it's more difficult to tell the difference between Stereo Rose and Pink Power MSF.  The most noticeable difference is the texture of the two, where Stereo Rose is frostier and has more shimmer.


Golden Lariat MSF also comes in the same large size as Pink Power.  This trio is much darker compared to Pink Power, which I think will be flattering on darker skin tones.  The gold highlight is buttery smooth and incredibly gorgeous.  As you can see in the swatch, the middle bronzer color is much darker while the blush is a dark coral.  The texture of this MSF is soft and smooth just like Pink Power.


Overall, I think the MSF are the standout products in this collection because of the excellent texture and pigmentation.  I wouldn't say the colors are particularly unique but they are flattering on specific skin tones.  Pink Power is best for light to medium skin tones while Golden Lariat is suitable for medium to dark skin tones.  I had no issues swatching both products since the colors are all soft and smooth.  I also love the fact that I can use each color for a different purpose - highlight, bronzer, and blush.  When it comes down to it, I think versatility is really the justification for the high $35USD price.  I don't remember MAC coming out with a trio like this in the past but would love to see a smaller version at a lower price.

Bottom line: Both MSF are must-haves if you happen to be looking for an all-in-one product of blush/highlighter/bronzer.  Skip if you're on a budget, don't like the bulky/Wonder Woman packaging, or only like the highlighter or blush portion as these shades are dupable.  In comparison with Pink Power, I would say Golden Lariat's gold highlighter is a shade that I haven't seen MAC released in past collections.

See more swatches of lip and eye products here.
Swatches of the blush duos and Spitfire comparison can be found here.


What's your take on these MSFs? Yay or nay?

8 comments:

The Beauty Bite said...

This post is absolutely amazing! Your photographs are some of the clearest I've ever seen on a blog! I'm itching to get my hands on this collection...

x

pinkribbons said...

OMG it's massive! I ordered Pink Power before it sold out. Your swatches are really clear and I feel I won't be disappointed when I get my product forwarded to me. I wish Golden Lariat was not as orange looking, that gold highlighter looks ah-maz-ing! I still think Guerlain Blush G is in a league of it's own.

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

Thats actually really pretty although the size is still ridiculous. In Canada they cost $42 which is so annoying since our dollar is pretty much the same at the US right now. I really want to get my hand on the Guerlain Blush G. So pretty!
xx
Alicia

PinkOrchids said...

Wow, what interesting packaging! The colours look lovely, a bit more on the bronze side though. xX

Yen said...

Amazing post!! I love the stark pics of this Mac product!

The Girlie Blog said...

Cool packaging! Too bad I am on a budget :O( Thanks for the very thoughtful and thorough review!

resham said...

I am liking the size of the compact....I dunno why???

Makeup Magpie said...

Great photos! I had hoped to see Pink Power in person, but it sold out so quickly I never got a look at it. It does look pretty!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!