Battle of the Makeup Wipes: Neutrogena Cleansing Towelettes vs. Kirkland Daily Facial Cleansing Towelettes

Monday, April 4, 2011

Makeup wipes are near and dear to my heart.  Before discovering these beauties, I would often get clogged pores and breakouts from leftover makeup on my face. I also hated the oily film on my eyes when using Lancome's Bi-Facial or Clinique's Take The Day Off Make Up Remover.  Here I have 2 makeup cleansing towelettes to do a thorough comparison for you.  Both are affordable options that will not break your wallets.

First up is Neutrogena Cleansing Towelettes which can be purchased at any local drugstore (Walgreens, CVS, Target, Rite Aid, etc).  They retail for $8.49USD for 25 wipes with a container or $6.49USD for a refill pack without the container.


The towelettes are advertised to be ultra-soft, gentle, and effective at removing all dirt, oil, and makeup.  These are meant to be used daily  to help remove waterproof mascara as well.



In the back of the container contain instructions on how to use the towelettes and the ingredients in them.




I paid a bit of extra money for the container since it's more convenient to carry along during travel. Inside the container is a refill pack with 25 pre-moistened towelettes.  Lift open the resealable label to find the product inside of each package.  Lightly tug and pull the towelette through the opening. Make sure you don't grab too much or more than one will come out.




Next up is Kirkland Daily Facial Cleansing Towelettes which can be purchased directly from Cotsco.  These retail at $11.50USD for 150 wipes.  In the giant box, you will find 4 packages of 30 towelettes and 2 travel packages of 15 towelettes.


The ingredients for these towelettes are listed on each package and on the back of the box:

 

Kirland advertises these pre-moistened towelettes as alcohol and oil-free with Chamomille, Triple Tea Complex, and Vitamin E.  The pack with 30 counts all have easy and sturdy plastic resealable white top lips as shown below.


Once you remove the sticky label, lightly tug and pull out a towelette for use. At first, you'll find the first couple of towelettes rather dry.  Before usage, the trick is to take the entire pack and flip it upside down so that all the liquid inside can be dispersed evenly throughout each towel . Otherwise, the first half will be dry and the last half soaked with liquid as you get near the bottom of the pack.


As noted on the box, each of these towelettes have special quilted patterns for deep cleansing.  They're rather unique compared other makeup wipes in the market. 



Here are close up pictures of the quilted patterns:


The Neutrogena towelettes are not quilted but rather a mesh of cloth. 


Below are close up shots of the mesh.  It is somewhat thick and coarse in texture compared to Kirkland's wipes.  Neutrogena's towelettes have a rather strong artificial cucumber & alcohol fragrance whereas Kirkland's fragrance is much softer and easier on the nose.


In terms of size, the Neutrogena wipes are wider and shorter in length compared to Kirland's.


After a long day of work, I took off my makeup with both wipes, using one on each side of my face.  The top wipe is Neutrogena's and the bottom is from Kirkland.  I usually fold each wipe into 4 quadrants for each section of my face.

In terms of performance, they both do well on removing foundation, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, and waterproof mascara. However, Neutrogena's towelettes feel much more coarse on my sensitive skin, leaving it a bit pink afterward. I also find the Neutrogena's fragrance too strong and pungent for my particular liking.  My biggest concern is how it stings my eyes, leaving it red and bothered every time I use it. 


Kirkland's wipes in comparison, are more moist and much softer on the skin.  It does not bother or sting my eyes during mascara removal either.  The fragrance is light and subtle as well.  The other difference is that these do leave a slightly moist, dewy feeling after makeup removal compared to Neutrogena's dry finish.  Some may or may not be bothered by this. Regardless of which wipes I use, I always cleanse my skin right after with Boscia's Purifying Cleansing Gel.

Overall, I would say my absolute favorite is Kirland's Daily Facial Cleansing Towelettes. These truly give you the bang for your bucks with 120 wipes at only $11.50USD compared to Neutrogena's $6.49 for 25.  Of course these costs are without the usual discounts Costco and drugstores have for these items.  I personally love Kirkland's more because they are much softer on my skin and perform very well at removing all of my makeup.  The Neutrogena wipes are drier, feels too harsh on my face, and sting my eyes like no other.  If you can, I highly recommend picking up a pack of Kirkland Daily Facial Cleansing Towelettes the next time you visit Costco.

Have you tried either of these wipes?  What is your favorite makeup wipe?

9 comments:

Justine (Productrater) said...

I love the kirkland ones because they are so cheap at costco, I get a giant thing of like 120 for $12 as you said, I don't remember exactly how much I pay, but the thing lasts me a couple of months and it's so cheap. I have used lots of other types including garnier, and neutrogena and I don't see much of a difference. Seems like a silly thing to spend more money on when the cheap ones work just fine.

Diane said...

Score for Costco Kirkland wipes! These are my favorite as well. I have been out of them for a few weeks and am too lazy to go to Costco just for wipes, it is driving me crazy! Great review!

Angelique said...

Great comparison! I think I've tried the Neutrogena one but a different kind. I'll check out the Kirkland one next time I'm at Costco :D

Arianne (Glitter Geek) said...

Love the reviews! I prefer the Kirkland out of everything I've tried as well. The value for these is just outstanding.

Before I tried Kirkland's, I really liked Alcone's cloths but they're not widely available (I got mine at IMATS).

the Honey B said...

i love your posts! I use the kirkland brand too and i love them! Thanks for the comparison!

Agmini said...

Are these available anywhere other than Costco?

Ishah Beauty Mama said...

Will definitely check the Kirkland ones out next time I'm at Costco! That's great value for wipes that work well :)

Sass said...

I find that Pond's makeup wipes do better than both of these.

Selene said...

Oh man thank you girl for this post! I was at Costco and I saw these two exact wipes next to each other and I was so confused which I should get. Thank god for mobile internet on the phone.

Anyways, Neutrogena pack at Costco = 120 wipes for about 13 bucks

Kirkland pack = 150 for less than 12 bucks.

Needless to say I got Kirkland :)
[i tried those Neutrogena ones before from Walgreens and there was a very strong alcoholic smell to it and it left a greasy film on my face]

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!