Laura Mercier: New Lip Gel Colours and Baked Eye Colours Swatches and Review

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Laura Mercier also came out with 6 limited edition Lip Gel Colour shades.  These retail for $22USD and can be found at at Macy's and Nordstroms counters or on Laura Mercier's website. They are described as " innovative gel-based lipstick will cushion your lips in soft-comfort colour with a shine finish".


Taken with flash. Each of the swatches were done with 3-4 swipes to build up the color.



Sweet Cherry is a medium red with a shiny finish.
Rosette is a red pink shade that's somewhat opaque on the lips.
Clementine is the most opaque color out of the entire collection. It is a medium orange that I think many orange lipstick lovers will gravitate towards.
Hibiscus Bloom is a watermelon pink that was really pretty on me.  It instantly brightened up my face.
Dollface is a cool tone blue pink. This color took at least 3 swipes to be fully opaque.
Berry Sorbet is a medium berry that's very pretty. It doesn't take too many layers to show up.

Last weekend, they had brand new testers out of these beauties and I tried Hibiscus Bloom on to test out the texture.  I first thought "ok here goes another sheer lipstick" but was fortunately proven wrong.  The color showed up pretty well on my lips and it felt so light, moisturizing, and comfortable. I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually love the feel of these more compared to Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine.  The Lip Gel Colour would be best to wear on a hot summer day, where you don't want to feel like your lipstick is melting.  I don't know how long the wear time is but this is certainly one of those swipe-and-go products.  I also didn't notice any strong or annoying fragrance from these either.
 
Here they are again without flash:




Laura Mercier also introduces a new "Eye Colour formula featuring Baked technology in beautiful shades that last all day. This smudge resistant, lightweight eye colour gently smoothes onto the lid for an even application".  There are 6 shades for you to choose from and these retail at $22USD a piece.


Now I will say that my swatches do not do these eyeshadows any justice. They are much more vibrant, shimmery, and beautiful in person.  My camera had a tough time capturing the different color shimmers in each shade since the sun was setting.


Each of the shadows is baked in a round shape.  It sits inside a very simple clear plastic package.  The texture is smooth and has great pigmentation.  You can either use these dry or wet, with wet helping the color become darker and more vibrant (a foiled effect).


Ballet Pink is easily my favorite color. It is a frosty champagne with a hint of pink.  It goes on so smooth and the color is simply gorgeous.  I can imagine this being used as a highlighter in the inner corner/cheekbones as well.  It is currently the only sold out color online.


Here is it without flash:




With flash:




Terracota is like its name, a frosty and shimmery bronzy shade. This would make a nice lid or crease color.
Petal Pink is a pink with violet shimmer that reminds me so much of the pink shade in Chanel's Enigma Quad.

Black Karat is a black/olive base with lots of gold shimmer.  This would make an outstanding smokey eye combo. It also reminds me of a better, more shimmery version of the olive/green shade in Chanel's Enigma Quad.

Lagoon is a bright aqua/teal with shimmer.
Black Violet looks gorgeous in the pan but when swatch, it was actually the most flat in terms of color and shimmer compared to the other shades. I'm sure it will look much better when used wet.





I find the texture of these eyeshadows similar to Chanel's Euro formulas where the shadows are baked.  They are smooth and easy to apply. 

Overall, a huge thumbs up to Laura Mercier for the new Lip Gel Colours and Baked Eye Colours.  At $22 a piece, the lipsticks provide shine, color, and moisture. I don't think you can ask for more than that! These are also alternatives to Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine with a lower price point. I definitely hope she will release more shades in the future. As for the eyeshadows, if you don't want to pay $35USD for a single Chanel baked eyeshadow, these beauties are definitely good alternatives to check out. I highly recommend checking these out at your local Laura Mercier counters!

What's catching your eyes? Have you tested these new products out yet?

17 comments:

faye lu review said...

fantastic swatches. have my eyes on hibiscus bloom, dollface and berry sorbet ... heck ALL OF THEM!! these look far more pigmented than Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine.
thanks for sharing

the Honey B said...

I just ordered another Rouge Coco Shine in Chance but now I really want to try Hibiscus Bloom! I love the swatch!!!! Thanks for posting!!!

Tiffany said...

Yay, you got the swatches! The lipsticks look so nice. I like Hibiscus Bloom and Dollface the most.

Jadegrrrl said...

Wow the lip gels look gorgeous!

Cherry Wu said...

The colors of the gel lipsticks are GORGEOUS!! Thank you so much for the swatches^0^~

Elle said...

Thanks for the review! I might check out the baked eyeshadows. Especially the Petal Pink one. I love the pink color of Chanels Enigma quad so much and already used quite a bit of it so it would be nice to have something similar :)

coffretgorge said...

Ballet pink reminds me of Stila Kitten! but BP is more vibrant and shimmery :)

thank you for the swatches, amazing as usual! :)

The Dollymix Diaries said...

I am loving the look of everything. I need to check them out.
thank you

TUM said...

Ahhh those lipsticks look amazing! I wanna try Clementine and Hibiscus Bloom. How do they compare to Dior Addict Lipsticks? The texture and finish looks more similar to Dior Addict Lipsticks than Chanel Rouge Coco Shine.

Thanks for the great post!

Kristie said...

Hi Tum - these are lighter, not as creamy compared to Dior Addicts.

Rinz said...

i love the dollface color! I actually tried LM foundation and i really liked the coverage. I havent tried the lips products yet, but seeing the colors here make me wanna buy some!

Nic Nic said...

wow these lipsticks look seriously pigmented and glossy! Dollface is my fave out of the bunch :D

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

Is it strange that I think they all look like they would taste really good? They have a very fruity appearance...lol. I need to get hands on at least one of the lip colours.
xx
Alicia

Urban Warrior said...

Awesome post, awesome blog!
Thanks for stopping by at mine, I'm following you ;)

xx
urban

resham said...

Beautiful Colors...They look so rich!

Zuzu's Petals said...

Those swatches are the best I have seen yet. I am dying for Black Karat and Ballet Pink, which all quickly sold out on lauramercier.com, and the gel lip colors look much less neon on your skin than they do in the tube. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I got the very last ballet pink, along with black karat today at Nordstrom. I also have clementine and berry sorbet lipsticks. Everyone seems to think "dollface" is really pretty but in person it's just kind of blah. It looks great in the tube but doesn't show up on the lips. I'd say get the lip glace in baby doll instead if you want a nice baby pink. Thanks for all the swatches. I spent a long time trying to figure out which to try in person. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!