Dior Electric Tropics Summer 2011 Collection: Aurora Swatches and Review

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

When I first saw the promo ads for Dior's Electric Tropics Collection, I knew right away I had to get my hands on the Healthy Glow Summer Powder.  There are 2 shades offered, 001 Aurora and 002 Sunset.  Both of these retail for $46USD and can still be purchased online at Nordstrom or Dior.  Believe it or not, this is my first venture into Dior's face products. Aside from their mascaras, I have never had much interest in the brand's lipsticks/blushes/bronzers. This collection certainly changed my mind about Dior!


Aurora comes in a nice compact with a deep navy velvet pouch. The little slit on the top houses a Dior brush.


I really like the silver packaging for this summer powder. It is the understated simplicity that makes the compact so chic.


Dior's Glow Summer Powder has the smallest packaging compared to both Chanel and Guerlain.  In fact, its brush beats Chanel's because it is much softer.  Inside the compact is a mirror, and clear sturdy plastic that houses the product. 


As if the design of the packaging isn't pretty enough, I was also impressed with the intricate weaving design of the product itself.  Aurora is the lightest of the two shades.  It includes shimmery pink, satin medium brown, and shimmery bronze patterns, intertwining with one another.  The shimmer is gold but is rather subtle once applied.


Here is a close up of the powder where you can see the shimmer infused with the individual shades.


The texture of Aurora and Sunset are divine! It is so soft and buttery smooth to the touch.  I remember being super impressed with it when I first swatch them from the testers.  It is not as powdery compared to Chanel's Bronze Rose/Corail and definitely not as frosty compared to Guerlain's Inca Powder.

The swatches consist of the three shades in the powder.  Starting from the left is the medium brown shade with no shimmer, pink, and the last is the bronze with shimmer.


When I try to mix all three shades together, I end up with a brown/orange shade on my skin.  I think it may have to be with my olive tones but there's simply not enough pink to tone down the tint of orange in this powder. 


Overall, big kudos to Dior for the packaging, quality, and beautiful design of Aurora.  The price is reasonable for what I would consider as a blush/bronzer. I love the texture of Aurora but still have some trouble pulling off the color.  I find that using a MAC 187 or any stippling brush works best for applying this powder.  When I first tried on Aurora at the store with a dense blush brush, I ended up with carrot cheeks.  Nevertheless, I was not deterred and purchased the powder to try out anyway.  In order not to look too orange/brown, I apply a soft pink blush on top of Aurora to make it more natural. Sunset 002 is definitely out of the question for me because it is even more orange and much darker on my skintone.

Out of the 3 newly launched bronzers/blushes, I ended up reaching for Chanel's much more often compared to Dior and Guerlain. I think it all comes down to a comfort level. This is the first time I've made an effort to wear bronzers and while Guerlain is gorgeous, it is slightly frosty.  Chanel seems to make their products right every time for me - not too brown, orange, frosty, or shimmery. Just right.

Bottom line: Dior's Healthy Glow Summer Powders are high quality products with incredible texture. The shade selection is all up to your personal preference.  I find Aurora a bit orange but I've found that it looks beautiful on several lighter skin tone ladies. I recommend checking this out in person and grabbing it while you still can.  It is limited edition.

What are your thoughts on Aurora? Have you picked it up yet?

16 comments:

makeupattitude said...

I 've been obsessing over dior's powders for a long time...This is so beautiful!

Larie said...

I love this one! I can't remember the last time I was so happy with a bronzer, haha.

Rainy Days and Lattes said...

It's such a special blush and bronzer combo :) I'm not sure which brush to use either, but I would use an angled one to apply it on lightly :)

Polarbelle said...

Oh boy, I have one on hold to pick up tomorrow based solely on hype, but I'm a little olive too so this might not work for me. Great review and pics.

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup said...

I think you are the first blog I have read where the shimmer is captured in the picture. I finally got what the hype was over when I saw your photos, I went "aha" (you can call it my Oprah lightbulb moment!).

the Honey B said...

Please dont get me hooked on Dior! I really really want this now and you're amazing reviews of all this lush makeup is making me broke! ahhhh, thank you for the swatches, another lemming and another great review ;)

Nat said...

Great review and gorgeous pictures! Both the packaging and product look absolutely beautiful!

Zuzu's Petals said...

Yay a new post! I agree with Devoted--you really did capture the shimmers; in fact, they look like they are contained in just in the bronze strips. I *love* the minimalist packaging and that brush slot in the envelope is really handy. I was so ready to pull the trigger on my Dior cart until you said "orange." Boo hoo another lemming killed. Have you really never tried Dior eyeshadows?

PerilouslyPale said...

Gorgeous photos!!!! I too wish Aurore had a bit more pink too it as opposed to being so peach as peach translates to orange. I still think I love it. If it weren't for my red hair though I don't think I could have possibly pulled it off. Such gorgeous packaging and presentation though. Dior may be convincing me to change my mind about them ;-)

Anonymous said...

I just got this today! This is also my first foray into Dior, and I also picked up Amber Diamond. I couldn't resist the beauty of the whole thing! I swatched it on the back of my hand and it looked great, but I'm yellow/olive as well so hope it doesn't go orange on me. I got the Chanel Soleil Bronze Rose blush/bronzer also and I love that too!

luv2smilexo said...

You seriously have the most gorgeous pictures :) Ive also been mostly immune to Dior. I don't like their traditional blue packaging and I usually find alot of their shadows to be quite frosty. However, I have a red gloss that I love and their amber diamond highlighter is really gorgeous.

Makeup Magpie said...

This season there are sooo many great bronzers to choose from! How to decide when you can't have them all? :) I got this one but haven't tried it yet. Let's hope it's not too orangey :) Thanks for the review and beautiful photos!

Ansa said...

I don't know how I feel about this yet. These type of shades always come off orange on me.

pinkribbons said...

I swatched this the other day and I have to agree that it leans orange. I think it will work on me using a light hand.

Chau said...

I love the uniqueness of Aurora - tan with peachy/pink-tinted undertone. Most of the bronzers I have tried so far have true tan/brown base. I applied it under my cheekbones, more like a blush rather than a bronzer. It doesn't lean orange on me (medium, yellow undertone). It gives me a natural healthy glow. I think it's perfect for bright lips.

JoanneP said...

I purchased a backup and I'm not even into bronzers!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!