Chanel Rose Ecrin Joues Contraste Blush Swatches and Review

Monday, June 27, 2011

With a slew of endless bronzers released in the past 2 months, I nearly forgot how much I love to wear soft pink blushes.  Rose Ecrin Joues Contraste is part of Chanel's Fall 2011 Collection.  It retails for $43USD and I vaguely remember an SA mentioning the JCs are made in Europe. I'm not 100% sure so will double check again and update. I called up several Chanel boutiques to double check and all the SAs confirmed this is in the US, not the baked European formula. A special thanks to all the knowledgeable and lovely ladies for helping me to decipher this mystery, especially Eileen! I know the collection is slowly trickling into department stores (Nordstrom, NM, Macy's, etc) but I haven't seen it at my local counters. I purchased Rose Ecrin from Chanel's website.

All of Chanel's JC blushes come in a plastic glossy back compact, with a mini brush and mirror.


Rose Ecrin is a satin rose pink with no noticeable glitter or shimmer at first glance.  If you look closely under the sun, you will see very small flecks of shimmer infused in the blush.  The shimmer is so small and subtle that my camera had a tough time picking it up. 


The second I saw Rose Ecrin, I immediately thought of Chanel's Orchid Rose and Pink Explosion. In a side by side comparison, Pink Explosion is brighter and pinker compared to Rose Ecrin.  Orchid Rose is slightly cooler and has noticeable glitter in the pan.

Here is a close up shot of the 3 blushes. From top to bottom: Orchid Rose, Rose Ecrin, and Pink Explosion.


Besides the obvious shimmer in the pan, Rose Ecrin and Orchid Rose look very similar to one another.


On my skin, both shades look nearly identical at first glance.  However, Orchid is slightly cooler compared to Rose Ecrin. 


In natural lighting, Orchid Rose is also a tad darker and more purple compared to Rose Ecrin.


Image taken with flash shows you the differences between Orchid Rose's large glitter bits compared to Rose Ecrin's tiny flecks of shimmer.


When I wear Rose Ecrin, I get a beautiful pink satin finish during the daytime.  At night, the subtle shimmer gives a lovely pink flush to the cheeks.  If you like Orchid Rose but are not a fan of the obvious glitter flecks in the sunlight, I think you will love Rose Ecrin.  This shade will be flattering for all, especially for those with warmer skin tones.  I used MAC's 168 brush to apply Rose Ecrin to my cheeks for a pigmented but subtle flush. Similar to other JCs, Rose Ecrin has a strong rose fragrance in the pan but quickly dissipates after application.

Bottom line: I recommend checking out Rose Ecrin at a local counter.  It's one of those shades that you simply can't go wrong with. It is lovely for an every-day look, weddings, or a night out on the town.  For those on a budget and already own Orchid Rose, I think you can safely skip since the shades are quite similar.  Rose Ecrin is part of the permanent collection so take your time, and try it out before taking the plunge.

What are your thoughts on Rose Ecrin. Any other possible dupes for this shade?

17 comments:

PerilouslyPale said...

If this really is the baked version then it will definitely be money saved. I loved all my Fall 2010 JC's but now they are all getting hard and difficult to pick up pigment from.

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup said...

That is really pretty! I love a pale pink cheek I just wish I could wear one more easily given the redness I am prone to in my cheek area.

Kristie said...

PeriouslyPale - I'm not sure either! Will double check again and let you know if these are US or Europe baked formulas. I think the SAs might be confused as well. Definitely no pigmentation issues with Rose Ecrin.

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup - I feel your pain. I think Rose Ecrin might work for you. I also have redness on my cheeks but luckily this didn't accentuate those spots.

l y n said...

Such a gorgeous blush! Your photos are absolutely lovely too :-)

Flyavsted said...

The European baked version is hard and more glittery than the American version. The American version is also more powdery than the European one. I actually prefer the European one as it often has what I think of a subtle unique Chanel shimmer.

Rainy Days and Lattes said...

So beautiful!! Both of them :D

productdoctor said...

Has the collection been released in Europe?

PerilouslyPale said...

Where does the back of the palette say it was made? France or US? Thanks so much for checking for us!

Eileen said...

Hi Periously Pale,,

You seem to be getting some muddled information regarding this beautiful, natural blush. No, it's not like Armani Spring (NBTtGS) and no it's not the baked formula. I passed on Rose Explosion because I didn't like the baked version with all the "dust" it left in the pan and the glittery fall out on the face. After that Fall 2010 fiasco, Chanel wisely returned to the satin smooth formula that we expect from the American releases. The confusion arises from the fact that Chanel's promo pictures usually show the baked version, but not to worry. Rose Écrin is satin smooth with no "dust" or fall out. It's classic American Chanel. If you look at the pictures of Rose Écrin Next to Pink Explosion, you can easily see the difference in formula. This same confusion occured when Espiégle was released: We got the American formula, but the promo picture feature the baked European.

Eileen said...

I should have added that the blusher palettes all say Made in France but that doesn't indicate which formula was used as both the American and European baked formulas are manufactured in France. Interesting side note, the Soleil Tan de Chanel this year was manufactured in Italy.

Kristie said...

Eileen - Thank you so much for helping us by pointing out the differences between the 2 formulas. I think Chanel should hire you to educate their SAs as to what is made where! I too noticed the Soleil de Chanel are made in Italy as well. Very interesting.

Zuzu's Petals said...

Kristie, your pictures are gorgeous, as always. I have this blush, but I haven't tried it on yet. I know it will be perfect on me, and I am afraid to adulterate its surface!

I bought Pink Explosion a year or so ago, but I found it to be so incredibly powdery. Over time it got hard, too. (And it contained less product that my other JC blushes--maybe because it was baked.) I am SO glad that Rose Ecrin is back to the satiny American version.

Kristie said...

productdoctor - I'm not sure if this has been released in Europe. Hopefully one of the lovely readers can let us all know.

Zuzu's Petals - Thank you! I'm sure it will look wonderful on you. It's really a lovely blush.

Rinz said...

the color is so subtle!! I have nars orgasm which is my favorite but i still want a new one!

Eileen said...

I think the collection is being released in France in August. But then the collection was supposed to be released mid-July in the US and it's been available since mid-June. Go figure!

Urban Warrior said...

OMG you got me with this one! I've never been a huge fan of Chanel baked blushes (no idea why - actually for no reason ;) but this shade is soooo beautiful!!! I also love the fact it has a sating (and not gliterry/shimmery) finish - I will be buying it for sure! (it's seriously your fault ;)

Regarding Essie Dive Bar - I found it in local RiteAid at the regular Essie stand, so I either got super lucky OR it's a permanent shade. So just try it ;)

:*

madii1984 said...

Hello, I just stumbled across this page. Im living in Europe and I reeeaaaly want to buy the American version of this blush, because I am a bit scared I will spend so much money on a baked blush and then it will go all hard. This really scares me. Please tell me, is there any website you know of where I could buy this american version?? I dont have any friends in america who could buy this for me :(( if you could write back to me - madii1984@onet.eu i would be soooo thankful!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!