Byzance de Chanel - Or Joues Contraste Swatches and Review

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Or Joues Contraste retails for $43USD and is released in the limited edition Byzance de Chanel Collection.  You can purchase this on Chanel's website, at selected Chanel boutiques (SF, SCP, Soho), and Nordstrom Seattle.


Similar to Rouge, Or also comes in the typical glossy Chanel compact with a black plastic top cover.


Rouge is a gold blush with gold shimmer.  I have never really seen a gold blush so I consider Or more of a highlighter.

 
 
Below is how it looks in direct sunlight.  For some reason, Or reminds me of a cheesy moon with all its ridges and patterns.


In a light finger swipe test, Or is nicely pigmented but definitely not as intense compared to Rouge. It looks a tad gritty with the shimmer but doesn't feel that way on my finger or skin. I like how Or swatches true to the color in the pan. It's not intense but not sheer either. What you see is what you get - a gold shimmer.



On my arm, Or is a yellow gold.  When sheered out, all you see is small bits of gold shimmer as shown on the left.


Swatch done in direct sunlight shows the blended side much better compared to indoor lighting.

 

Or is the very first gold blush/highlighter I have in my collection.  By itself, Or imparts a nice golden sheen on my cheeks that's not very obvious.  I can only see the shimmers glisten in the sunlight or under incandescent lighting.  I think Or is best layered over a red, pink, or even coral blush.  It provide a nice glow when I layered it over Dior Aurore or MAC Bite of An Apple. No matter how much I build up Or, I simply can't really go overboard with it.  My cheeks do not turn out really yellow or gold. 

Bottom line: Or is a nice gold highlighter to pick up if you're in the market for well, a gold highlighter.  It is nicely pigmented, not gritty, and provides a beautiful glow when layered over another blush. If you're on a budget, I personally don't think it's a must-have unless you're a gold or highlighter lover.  If you're a die-hard Chanel fan, Or is a nice highlighter to consider. I like Or but I'm not completely head-over-heels with it. It's not difficult to use as Rouge but is not exactly a must-have for me either. I say this because I usually don't use highlighters and haven't really found one that has blown my socks off quite yet.

What are your thoughts on Or? Any potential dupes?

10 comments:

Delyteful Speaks said...

Very interesting product! Great review.. Thanks for that

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) said...

I really really want this but can't justify it. Heavy sighs. I'll just have to keep looking at your beautiful swatches over and over until I'm satisfied. :)

CucumPear said...

As a general rule I only buy foundation in that price range, but this makes me drool so much. I'll just have to keep reminding myself that I already have a perfectly gorgeous pale golden highlighter that I don't even use that often.

polarbelle said...

beautiful pictures, Kristie. I think I have the similar one that they put out a few years back...I don't even know the name, lol. Shows how much I've used that, so I guess I won't get this one...unless you tell me I need it. :)

coffretgorge said...

swatched heavily, i think it would pass up as an eyeshadow! so golden and pretty! :) but i dont think im gonna pick this up, i barely use my highlighters nowadays.

Sabrina said...

Interesting. I think this would be too sparkly for me. Oh and I didn't haul the quad :-( I just couldn't do it!!!

Lucy said...

I'm a die hard and bought both from this collection.. love it :)

Zuzu's Petals said...

Your review and pictures are excellent, as always, but I am not tempted by this one.

Makeup Magpie said...

I purchased this recently but haven't tried it out yet. I knew it probably wasn't something I would use all the time, but it is definitely unique in my collection and I'll probably layer it over a bright red/coral blush just like you mentioned. Thanks for the review and excellent photos! :)

Kristie said...

Delyteful Speaks - you're welcome. Thanks for commenting!

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) - aww that's ok. I'm sure there will be other gold highlighters released from other lines during the holiday season.

CucumPear - it certainly is a pricey highlighter. I think you can definitely skip if you don't use your other one very often.

polarbelle - you don't need it :)

coffretgorge - good point! I didn't think of it as an eyeshadow.

Sabrina - lol you didn't cave! It's pretty but Topkapi is indeed pricey.

Lucy - awesome!

Zuzu's Petals - thanks! I'm sure most are not tempted by this blush/highlighter.

Makeup Magpie - can't wait to see your FOTD with it!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!