Dior Tuxedo and Beige Safari Swatches and Review

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dior's Fall 2011 Collection came out with 2 new polishes - Tuxedo and Safari Beige.  These retail for $21USD and I was told they will be limited edition.  You can purchase these right now from Nordstrom.  I was in a hurry to get the swatches up for you before the colors get snatched up.  Therefore, I didn't have any time to clean up around the nails, etc in case you're wondering!


Being a neutral gal, I was hesitant about Tuxedo since it's so dark and blue.  However, one glance at the tube alone made me want to take it home. 


Each of the nail polishes come with a shiny silver cap with the Dior logo on top. 


Tuxedo is a blue with blue shimmer.  Dior drew inspiration for this shade from its own packaging, which the SA puts it as "the Dior blue".

 
Beige Safari is a light beige pink with very very subtle shimmer.


Here they are on my nails.  The shimmer in Tuxedo and be seen really well in the sunlight.


Taken by the window:


Tuxedo:


Beige Safari:


As you can see, Dior translated Tuxedo into their signature "Dior blue".  Indoors, Tuxedo looks like the dark blue base of the box.  In sunlight, the blue shimmers makes it glisten like the lighter "CD" logo on the box. It is a really beautiful shade of blue.


The image taken with flash shows the pink tone in Beige Safari.  I can't really see any of the shimmers on my nails either.


Here is Tuxedo in the direct sunlight with it's super pretty shimmers.


Tuxedo's formula is super easy to use, smooth, and goes on opaque with only 1 coat.  I find that 2 coats looks better because the shimmers are more visible.  Beige Safari, on the other hand, was a complete nightmare.  It reminded so much of Chanel's Mimosa formula - thick, streaky, clumpy, and it took forever to dry.  I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle but the shot below shows my frustration.  It was so much thicker compared to Tuxedo and smeared even after 15 minutes on the nail. It turns out I the first bottle I picked up was bad.  I did an exchange at the Dior counter and this time around, Beige Safari was so much better.  It's not as easy as Tuxedo but was not at thick or clumpy compared to the first time I used it. 


I really like the shade Beige Safari but the formula completely turned me off is not so bad with my exchanged bottle.  It does take longer to dry compared to Tuxedo but the overall result is much better.

Bottom line: Tuxedo is a true winner from Dior's Fall 2011 collection.  I highly recommend checking out the shade at your local counter.  Although I can't wear this to work on my nails, I can see myself rocking a pedicure with this in no time. I think Tuxedo will be sold out fairly quickly. As for Beige Safari, unless the formula magically improves overnight, I simply cannot recommend it it's a nice nude pink shade that's great to wear all year round. I wouldn't say it's a must-have shade though.

What are your thoughts on Tuxedo and Beige Safari?

15 comments:

PerilouslyPale said...

Tuxedo is gorgeous! Thanks for the swatches!

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) said...

How do you think Tuxedo compares with Chanel Blue Satin? They look similar to me, except that Tuxedo seems to be a touch brighter. I'm going to ignore the other and check out Tuxedo in person (whenever we get it in Canada, which is always SUPER late)!

The Girlie Blog said...

I love the beige safari. It's a beautiful color.

Makeup Magpie said...

I like the micro-sparkles in Tuxedo. Such a pretty blue! Thanks for posting :)

wuguimei said...

Safari beige looks like a really pretty color. It just looks a tad streaky though.

PinkOrchids said...

Love tuxedo!! I have a similar colour but Dior's seem much more sparkly! Thanks for the swatches! xX

Kristie said...

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) - Hi Liz, sorry I don't have Chanel Blue Satin to do a comparison.

Rinz said...

I want that beige safari!!! I love the nude color

polarbelle said...

Kristie, that blue looks fab on you! I think I might have to get that one. My hubs doesn't like blue on my nails but if I embellish it, then he's good. but seriously, who do I do my nails for anyway? ME!

Alexis the Honey B said...

Wow that blue is gorgeous- kind of perfect for this last holiday weekend! Love it- thanks for posting!

Zuzu's Petals said...

Does anyone know how Tuxedo compares to Bond Street, sadly a color I missed? Kristie, both look gorgeous on you, especially Tuxedo, but the Beige color is very finger lengthening, don't you think?

AtelierBeauty(dot)com said...

I love the colors, particularly Tuxedo. But the shades aren't unique as seen in the swatches.

Kristie said...

Zuzu's Petals - yes Beige Safari does lengthen the finger! I love the shade.

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup said...

My eye immediately was drawn to Beige Safari in the bottle, but on your finger Denim is the real winner. Do you happen to own Chanel Blue Satin? I'm curious to know how Denim compares to Blue Satin. Ok, I just read through the comments before posting and see that Reductionista asked the same thing (how funny). For Zuzu, I can tell from the pics that Bond Street is not similar to Denim because Bond Street doesn't have shimmer in it. Hope that helps others out too!

Kristie said...

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup - Do you mean Tuxedo? Denim is the Nordstrom exclusive anniversary shade that has no shimmer and is lighter compared to Tuxedo.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!