Chanel Fauve Ombre Essentielle Swatches and Review

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Chanel Fauve Ombre Essentielle is a permanent shade retailing for $28.50USD.  It was recently introduced in  the Sophisticated Eye Collection. You can purchase it at Macy's, Nordstrom, Nieman Marcus, or on Chanel's website.


Fauve comes in the same small glossy Chanel compact as Magic Night, which I reviewed here.


When it comes to eyeshadow, I can never resist dark brown, taupe, or soft beige. After seeing swatches from Delicate Hummingbird, The Beauty Look Book, and Pink Sith, I knew I had to pick up Fauve.


In the pan, Fauve is a light plum taupe with visible silver shimmer.  


Here it is in the sunlight:


Fauve and Taupe Stylo Yeux are both in the same plum-taupe color family.  Taupe is darker and the silver shimmer bits are much smaller compared to Fauve. 


Fauve reminds me of several taupe shades in my collection such as MAC Satin Taupe, Wet N Wild Silent Treatment, MAC Hypnotizing, and NYX Iced Mocha.


On my arm, the taupe shade in Wet N Wild's Silent Treatment is very close to Fauve.  MAC Hypnotizing is a bit lighter, NYX Iced Mocha and MAC Satin Taupe leans more brown in comparison.


In brighter lighting:


In the afternoon sun:


For those who love Fauve but cannot afford the high price point, Wet N Wild Silent Treatment is a great alternative.  It retails for $2.99USD and can be found at your local Walgreens. While it is not an exact dupe for Fauve, it is smooth, pigmented, and does not have any shimmer fallout.


Overall, I love Fauve as much as Taupe Stylo Yeux.  The color is more intense when layered on top of UDPP. I have no issues with the pigmentation of Fauve. However, there is a bit of shimmer fallout under the eyes and in the inner corners.

Bottom Line: Fauve is a beautiful plum taupe that will look beautiful on all skin tones.  For those who are on a budget, check out Wet N Wild Silent Treatment which I also reviewed here. For taupe lovers like myself, definitely check out both Fauve and Taupe Stylo Yeux at your local Chanel counters.

What are your thoughts on Fauve? Yay or Nay?

9 comments:

Polarbelle said...

Great comparisons. I got Fauve too based on the other peep's photos. The silver sparkle makes it pretty unique. Another beautiful post, Kristie.

Kristie said...

Thanks Shelley. Fauve is awesome!

Joyce {MakeupByJoyce88.blogspot.com} said...

ahhhhh...Fauve is absolutely gorgeous, which is an understatement!! I love taupes with plummy undertones.

and I'm super jealous that you have Mac Hypnotizing. It's sold out and I can't find it anywhere, not even at a CCO. =(

Kristie said...

Sorry to hear you couldn't find Hypnotizing. It's a great reason to pick up Fauve ;)

Joyce {MakeupByJoyce88.blogspot.com} said...

Kristie, you are such an enabler..hahaa..

Zuzu's Petals said...

Fauve is so pretty; its plum undertones make it exactly the kind of eyeshadow I am drawn to, but I don't care for shimmer. I prefer creamy mattes and/or a satin finish, as I don't have much opportunity to wear shimmery eyeshadows these days (job too conservative for bling and much of my "social" life is spent on solo hobbies!).

I should go try it on anyway and see if I can live with the level of sparkle because it is such a gorgeous eyeshadow. Also, I love the texture and wearability of Chanel singles. My favorite is Slate 83, a boring-in-the-pan matte taupe.

G A B Y said...

Wow it looks so pretty, I love the plum in it, but for the price... ouch!

Kristie said...

Zuzu's Petals - yes, definitely try on Fauve. I think you will love it despite the shimmer. Otherwise, Silent Treatment will be more fitting since it doesn't have shimmer.

G A B Y - If you're on a budget, WNW Silent Treatment will be a nice alternative!

Makeup Magpie said...

Thank you for these excellent comparisons. The Wet & Wild truly is a nice substitute! I am so tempted to get Fauve & swatched it again today at Nordstrom. It's such a pretty & soft shade - I think it would look great on any skin tone! :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!