Chanel Magic Night Ombre Essentielle Swatches and Review

Friday, August 19, 2011

Chanel Magic Night Ombre Essentielle is a permanent shade retailing for $28.50USD.  It is also a part of  Chanel's recently released Sophisticated Eye Collection. You can purchase it at Macy's, Nordstrom, Nieman Marcus, or on Chanel's website.


Magic Night is one of my first single eye shadow purchases from Chanel. I have seen the testers and played with them many times at the local counters.  For some reason, I didn't realize how small the compact would be compared to the blushes or quads.  When Magic Night finally arrived at my doorsteps, I guess I had "size shock" when I held the tiny compact in my hands. It was so small that even the Butter by London bottle was longer and bigger!


Magic Night is made in France and is 2g/0.07oz.


Magic Night is a brown plum with silver shimmer.


In the sun, you can see the visible tiny flecks of shimmer.

Here's a close up:


Finger swatch shows the beautiful plum, brown, silver, red, and even some blue flecks of shimmer.

<

On my arm, the color swatches true to the pan. However, it was sheer in the first 2-3 swipes.  I had serious concerns and had to do at least 5-6 swipes before the color becomes opaque. Fortunately, this shade goes on pigmented on the lids without any issues.  I think there's something strange about the new eyeshadow formulas.  They may swatch sheer/chalky but is dark and vibrant when applied with an eyeshadow brush on the eyes.


I searched around for dupes but found that I don't have very many shades like Magic Night.  A couple of shades came to mind - Wet N Wild Knock on Wood, NARS Cheyene, Urban Decay Hustle, and MAC Sorcery.


Both Nars Cheyene and WNW Knock on Wood look more cranberry than plum compared to Magic Night.  MAC Sorcery is plum but doesn't have the dark brown base like Magic Night.  Urban Decay's Hustle has the brown base but is missing the plum and silver sparkles.  I would say Magic Night is a combination of Hustle, Sorcery, and a bit of WNW Knock on Wood.


Swatches in bright sunlight:


Overall, I am pleased with Magic Night. The brown, cranberry, and plum with multi-color shimmer makes this a unique shade.
Bottom Line: If you're looking for a wearable plum that doesn't lean too red or brown, Magic Night will deliver just that. This is a permanent shade so check it out at your local counters before taking the plunge.  Again, don't be deterred if it swatches sheer/chalky on your arm/hand. It's actually smooth and pigmented on the lids.

What are your thoughts on Magic Night? Any other possible dupes?

5 comments:

anya said...

beautiful shadows! I'm loving the chanel nail polish's right now! And I'm just dying to buy a channel hand bag. The classic lambskin kind. I've almost saved up enough! I dont know if I should go pink or tan though.

polarbelle said...

interesting. I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for the comparisons. I find most Chanel shadows to be lightly pigmented and take a lot of packing on to get the kind of depth I'm used to.

Eden-Avalon said...

It's a unique color and definitely beautiful but I don't know if I could handle paying so much for something so tiny!

Kym said...

That Magic Night Shadow is so gorgeous!

Polarbelle said...

I saw this yesterday and put it on pre-purchase at Nordstrom for triple points starting 9/14. It's absolutely stunning. I feel like I have something really close to it but I don't know what it is. I will investigate till I find out, not saying it's easily dupable because I don't think it is with the finish and glow of it. But I think maybe the browny-plum is something I might have seen something close to but not a dupe. Sorry I'm rambling, just wanted to tell you I AM GETTING THIS SHADOW!!!! It's really beautiful.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!