Chanel Taupe Stylo Yeux Waterproof Eyeliner Swatches and Review

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Chanel recently launched Taupe (84) Stylo Yeux Waterproof Eyeliner, a brand new shade in the Sophisticated Eye Collection.  This has been added to Chanel's permanent collection for now, and can be purchased at selected Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom counters, or on Chanel's website. I'm sure this will be available at all Chanel counters as the collection slowly trickles into stores this month.


Taupe retails for $29USD.


All of the Stylo Yeux Eyeliners come with a small sharpener that's hidden at the bottom of the liner.  It is really useful for sharpening the tips of the pencil, and is great for traveling.



The ingredients for Taupe Stylo Yeux Eyeliner at shown below. I am extremely surprised to see Bismuth Oxycloride listed.  I have a severe allergic reaction to it in face powders/blushes. However, I have no issues with these eyeliners.


Taupe looks rather purple at first glance.


A close up shows the purple tint in Taupe and multicolor micro shimmers.


On my tanned hand, Taupe is a dark grey-brown with some purple.  It is darker and much more purple compared to MAC's Satin Taupe.


A close up of Taupe on the lighter part of my arm:


Since the shade has more brown and purple, I compared with Chanel Rose Platine, Urban Decay's Rockstar, and MAC's Rave.  Rockstar is darker and Rave is much more violet in comparison.  Rose Platine is also lighter than Taupe.


Taken with flash:


Taken with natural lighting by the window:


Indoor lighting with flash:


Last but not least, indoor lighting without flash:


Overall, Taupe is such a complex color to describe.  At certain angles/lighting, it can look like a dark-grey brown, while at others, it's more like a purple grey-brown.  I don't know why I expected it to be a darker version of Rose Platine, but I'm really glad it isn't.  I love this shade paired with MAC's Satin Taupe.  It adds extra depth to the eyes and complements the shade very well.  As with all Stylo Yeux Eyeliners, the staying power is more than awesome.  These can easily last 8-12 hours on both on my upper and lower lids with very minimal fading.

Bottom Line: Taupe StyloYeux is a beautiful complex shade that is well worth the money.  I can definitely see this as a staple everyday shade. It's subtle enough for the workplace but is also dramatic enough for a come-hither-smokey eye.  I think this will look beautiful paired with Fauve as well.  If this was a limited edition item, I would purchase a backup without a doubt. Luckily, it is permanent!

What are your thoughts on Taupe? Yay or Nay?

16 comments:

Zuzu's Petals said...

I like Taupe--at least in your pictures (I don't own it). In fact, I like it best of all the swatches. It looks really pretty, and I like purples that lean brown or grey instead of red. Plums only look good on me in sweaters and scarves, not eye makeup.

8-12 hours is really impressive for longevity!

PerilouslyPale said...

Wow I'm really loving the look of Taupe! *sigh* Just when I thought I was done with $30 eyeliners.

Rainy Days and Lattes said...

It is such a beautiful color :) I love it!

reene said...

I need this in my life.. It looks soooo pretty in your swatches! You also reminded me of how gorgeous Rose Platine is. :)

Walls said...

I never noticed this particular colour at my local Chanel counter. I do love le Stylo's staying power. Initially I found the sharpener to be a tad challenging to use because the liner would snap off inside the sharpening chamber, but now that I'm a seasoned owner of several of these liners, I know what I'm doing! I am going to have to add Taupe to my collection. It has more dimension than I thought a liner by this name would have. I wish Rose Platine were part of the permanent le Style line-up because the colour and staying power are unparalleled. Thanks for sharing -- you have exquisite taste.

Polarbelle said...

Well, Kristie, it seems that I'm going to need this as well. I don't know if I have Mac Rave. *gasp*. Might have to find that too. I'm just going to follow you around and get one of each of what you do, cuz I know I'll love it.

Klara said...

This is a gorgeous colour and you photos are great. And I never really thought much of Rose Platine but it looks beautiful in your swatch. x

MissA* said...

Looks like something I'll wear ;) Will check the Chanel counter at the duty-free when I'm flying again.

Nat said...

Lovely photos and swatches! The shade does look gorgeous, as does Rose Platine and Rockstar!

Tamara said...

It looks lovely in swatches.

ChiffonLaceLeather said...

It seems everywhere I click these Chanel liners are following me. This must be a sign that I need to get the whole collection

Sarah said...

Wow! How did I miss the existence of this liner? I haven't seen it mentioned on any other blogs. I must have it! Sooooo pretty...I'm glad it is permanent!

Polarbelle said...

Bought it!!! Your fault. had the bill sent to your house. lol

Anonymous said...

hiya. do you know when it will be released in the uk?

JOso said...

Oh! I really want this one.. But finding a place whos shipping to norway isnt easy..

Anonymous said...

Hi - Thanks for the ingredient tip-off. I had a terrible contact allergy reaction to Chanel's Stylo Yeux Waterproof in Cassis. How were you able to deduce it was Bismuth Oxychloride?

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!