My Strange Addiction - Samples, Samples, Samples

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

TLC recently came out with a new show called My Strange Addiction, where professionals step in to help those with peculiar obsessions.  Some of these obsessions range from eating couches to bathing in bleach.  Compared to the cases found on the show, my obsession is well, a lot less serious.  However, it suckers me in every time and makes me weak in the knees. My strange addiction? Samples.



 Ever since I started purchasing cosmetics, I have always gotten suckered into purchasing an item because of free samples.  I would be at a counter thinking "hm..I don't really want this ridiculously expensive face cream" only to find myself handing over the credit card after hearing "I can give you 3 samples of anything you want". The worst offender is Sephora and their 15-piece sample bag with any $50USD purchase.  Fifteen pieces!! Well, now I must  find $40USD worth of products to buy when I really only need a pair of tweezers.

During a cleaning spree, I found a giant bag of untouched samples hiding deep inside my Alex drawer. Why in the world do I have so many and more importantly, why didn't I use them?  Deep down inside, I knew the answer. It was simple.  I never used them because they're samples of things that I didn't really want or need. I was simply collecting them.


The thing with samples is that they're fun to collect but you may not necessarily need them.  Companies use free samples all the time to entice customers into spending more. How many times have you spent an extra $50 just to get the GWP? I know I have many times.  However, I have learned throughout the years to stop and think twice about what is offered.  Are the items full-sized? Do I really want to try it? Are all the samples combined worth the extra money I have to spend?  If the answer is yes to all 3, then I will splurge and hand over the credit card.


At the end of the day, I still love GWP but have learned to think twice before being enticed by the offer of free samples. However, one thing is for sure.  I will now pass on all packet samples.  They're either too small or too large for a single use.  Once opened, the packets can't be closed and I find myself over-applying every time. Makeup mini-sized items such as mascaras, lipsticks, lipglosses, blushes, and eyeshadows are the best.  They make great travel items along with some skincare in tube packaging.

What are your strange addictions? Do you resist the temptation of free samples and GWP?

23 comments:

Vanity-Fashionista said...

I do exactly the same, collect but never use. My drawer just constantly fills up! I need to think twice before I fall into the temptation of a GWP, which probably isn't worth anything. x

Fountain of Youth said...

I have a good size stash of samples too. I try to use them when I travel. I can't resist samples and GWP like you:)

Joyce {MakeupByJoyce88.blogspot.com} said...

I don't think collecting samples is a "strange" addiction.

I think alot of people have the same habit as you do cuz people like to get things for free, whether they use it or not.

Getting free stuff is always nice. =)

Katie said...

haha I do the sample thing but my samples aren't always makeup samples :)

Rainy Days and Lattes said...

I always get lured into GWP, but not little packet samples as much. I agree that they are annoying little pests once opened! Mascaras and lipsticks may have to be the best ones :)

Martha said...

I love the mini quint! Tiny makeup is my favorite sample to get, I don't sample skincare often as my face can be very sensitive.

AngelicBetrayal said...

I do this too! I just did a post on how I collect product packaging lol. I love samples and GWPs. I feel like I might like some samples more than full sized items because I can actually finish samples XD I have a stash of samples and I don't reach for them because I'm always saving them.... For what? I'm not too sure. I do tend to use mini makeup products because I want to test out the product and they're super handy to travel with. I wish my sample stash resembled yours! I see some Dior, Nars, Chanel, and tons of skincare *swoon* :)

wuguimei said...

LOL I do this tooo! I have an entire drawer filled with free samples thanks to online purchases at Sephora ;D

Lina Kim ♥ said...

waah u got so many samples! I love collecting them too =)


btw, Can I invite you to join my GIVEAWAY, pretty please? ^^
The prize are korean bb creams and bubble cleansing foam, hope you want to check it out on my blog :)

Georgina said...

i truly understand what you're saying Kristie! hahaha! im the same, but instead of them giving me random stuff, i ask for samples of products i actually use (i.e. Shu Uemura cleansing oil in sachets) because i know i can use them whenever i travel. :)

LittoMokaa said...

We're on the same boat! I always keep them but never end up using them because they are too cute hahaha!! Because I know I'll never use them, I give them away to my friends or in giveaways haha XD

Lisa said...

it's disgusting,the amount of samples I have. I bag them up and donate them to the shelter for abused persons. I have been trying to just resist.

Polarbelle said...

I use the samples for extras in swaps or sales. I also have rounded up hundreds and given them to the women's shelter here. I'm at the point again that it's time to donate. I've been more discerning the past few years, but put a mini lipstick in there and I'm buying. Mini lipsticks are my weakness.

TheClaudiaCouture said...

I love samples and GWP too ! I have a box in my room that is dedicated to all the samples i have collected- perfume,skincare,makeup and hair products etc. I find that i use them most when i travel or in beauty swaps through YT. But other than that i barely go in there ! My favourite GWP's are the gorgeous limited edition makeup bags that so many companies do.
Great post as always! I can totally relate to your sample addiction too !
Much love,
Claudia xo

espenine said...

I have a box FULL of samples which I collected with the excuse that 'they will come in handy for travels'. But the truth is, I don't bring them for travel because i) what if the samples don't suit my skin & I breakout during travel?? ii) and what if I ran out of the samples halfway through the travel?. I paranoid myself and in the end the only places that the samples travel to are...well, in the box!

MissA* said...

GWP isn't that common here but I've gotten a lot of samples from the beauty salon I go to every month (I always get samples from Decleor, Payot and Darphin).

Whitney said...

I do the same thing and have many of the same products you pictured above! I'm moving in 2 weeks and have been trying to decide if its worth keeping them, or if I should just dump them all! One suggestion that I try to do it take some on vacations or weekend trips, so I can both try something new, and not have to pack a full sized product. This works especially well with things like moisturizers or serums or hair products!

Alexis the Honey B said...

Hahah this is so funny! I find most samples annoying and dont bother picking them when offered on sites like Sephora but sometimes i get a really good one and i'll try it and eventually buy the product!!! Cute post!

Kristie said...

Thanks for everyone's comments. Looks like I'm not the only one who loves samples :)

Nat said...

I'm a complete sucker for GWP/samples, but only the make-up mini sized items you mentioned, not so much the sample sachets. I noticed quite a few Dior mini samples in your photos, which the brand don't seem to offer anymore here. They were some of the best I received, especially the mini palettes!

SwatchAndLearn said...

Wow, you weren't kidding - you do have a lot of samples!

Free gifts with purchases definitely entice me and make me reconsider if I should buy something. Sometimes I stay strong, but if the freebie is something I really want, I cave. :P
- Mary

resham said...

OMG....DITTO!!!!! I am such a sucker for samples n deluxe samples!!!! If they come in a lovely bag...i am UNABLE to resist....:)

I am also addicted to GOLD eyeshadows, Gold paint pots and highlighter...:)

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) said...

This is a great post. Lately I've become very critical of the sample/points system that companies and retailers use to lure us. I decided that if I wasn't ready to pay regular price for the actual product, I shouldn't let puny little samples that cost nothing to the companies reel me in. I think it's nice when the SAs throw in a few samples after you've made the purchase, but samples no longer tempt me to spend extra.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!