Benefit Georgia and Thrrrob Blush Swatches and Review

Monday, November 28, 2011

I confess, I do not own any Benefit blushes. Well, that is, until now.  I have seen the blushes so many times at Sephora but never quite made the commitment to take one home.  That all changed last Thursday when I hastily perused the Black Friday ads while waiting for my food to finish cooking itself. Ulta had a bright, beautiful photo of Georgia and Thrrrob blushes with a screaming caption of "$19 for 2 full-sized Benefit blushes". Now being the beauty-nista that I am, I simply could not walk away from such a great deal! Each of these blushes alone costs $28USD so getting 2 for less than the price of one was a no-brainer.


Ulta had this as a special Black Friday deal and was going to open at 6AM. Now, as much as I love cosmetics and shopping, I love my sleep even more.   Luckily, when I stopped by the store at 11am, there were still 4 of these duos staring back at me from the counter. Score!


Benefit blushes can be recognized from miles away just from their unique packaging. The blush is contained in a small carton box. What a novel idea. 


Inside each little box is a small travel size brush that is surprisingly soft. I love the attention to detail that Benefit puts into each brush. Notice how the handle colors correspond to the packaging (i.e Georgia has a peach handle and Thrrrob has pink bristles).

Here are the ingredients in Georgia:


Ingredients in Thrrrob:


In the pan, Georgia is a light peach and has a peachy fragrance.  I can see very fine shimmers when I hold the blush in bright sunlight. 


Close up of Georgia:


Thrrrob is very different from Georgia in that it is a soft cool-tone baby pink. This has larger shimmer bits and can definitely be seen with the naked eye in the pan.


Close up of Thrrrob:


I honestly did not have any expectations for these blushes. I have read reviews where most people didn't like Georgia or Thrrrob because they are sheer.  However, I was quite surprised to see how pigmented they are with 1-2 swipes.


Both Georgia and Thrrrob appear to be chalky in the finger swatches.


On my arm, Georgia is quite sheer and not as peachy as it looks in the pan.  The shimmers in Georgia are much finer compared to those in Thrrrob.  I don't think Georgia is a blush in any sense because it is so pale in color.  Thrrrob on the other hand, is true to the color in the pan.  The baby pink blush can definitely be used on paler skin tones.


Although I don't own too many peach blushes, I know right off the bat Georgia looks nothing like what I have in my collection. Nevertheless, I did try to find a dupe for it with Chanel and MAC.  In the pan, it looks like a lighter, less shimmery version of MAC's Fun & Games.


In a side by side swatch, Georgia is too pale to be similar to any of the other blushes.  I think I would have better luck comparing Georgia to Laura Mercier's loose powder or Chanel's Rose Merveille pressed powder.


Thrrrob was in the same boat as Georgia. Although I own a lot of pink blushes, I don't have an exact dupe for Thrrrob both in the pan and on the skin.  I think MAC's Pink Cult comes closest but it is darker and cooler. MAC's Pretty Baby leans more pink and Pet Me is completely different.


Overall, I am pretty satisfied with my first experience with Benefit blushes.  Since Georgia is so pale, I think of it as a highlighter rather than a blush.  Thrrrob is surprisingly not chalky when applied with a dense blush brush.  It provides beautiful doll-like pink cheeks by itself on my NC25-NC30 skin tone.  I think this might look chalky on darker skin tones but quite nice for pale/light skin tones.  Georgia on the other hand, will most likely not show up peachy on any skin tone.  It looks lovely on top of Thrrrob as a highlighter or can be used to tone down other bright blushes.

Bottom Line: This is a great deal if you've always wanted to try out Thrrrob at a lower price point.  Georgia is discontinued and I can understand why.  I honestly think these are geared towards pale/light to medium skin tones.  By themselves, I don't think I would splurge for either blushes.  However, I am glad I own both of them. If anything, they smell really good!

What are some of your favorite Benefit blushes? Do you have Thrrrob or Georgia?

16 comments:

Nic Nic said...

you're so lucky to get that combo for such a price! I've always wanted to try Georgia!

JC ♔ said...

Great post! I wish we had an Ulta in Hawaii. I love both blushes, but then again I am a notorious blush junkie.

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) said...

I have Coralista and love it! As well as Dallas. And I used to love Dandelion as one of my first non-drugstore blushes.

Umm, so that Chanel peach blush? LOVE. *grabby hands*

kellyyes said...

what a great deal! i wish i would have seen this, ive been wanting to try out some more benefit blushes, but not for the full price. the colors look so light though! im a blush addict so i would pick up this deal anyway if i saw it :)

Kristie said...

Nic - I was surprised at the great deal too! Thanks for your comment. How have you been?

JC - You and I both. Blush fiends :)

Liz - I kept on eyeing Coralista but it reminds me too much of NARS Orgasm. Espiegle is a beauty for sure!

kellyyes - Like you, the blush fiend in me couldn't pass on the deal either!

Jamilla Camel said...

Thanks for the review! I was surprised at how pale Georgia is!

Lyuba-chan said...

I wanted to get these too, but I could only shop online since I'm in UK :( And mind you, in UK time it was maybe 8am..? So in US it probably was a little after midnight, and they were already sold out :( :( So instead I got myself a Tarte and Sigma set they had on offer.

MissA* said...

Both of them were on sale at my local Sephora stores. Thrrrob looks so pretty in pan but when swatched, it hardly showed up on my skin. I find it quite similar to MAC Well-Dressed which shows up on my NC30-35 skin tone better. Georgia is a beautiful shade but I think I've plenty of blushes that could last me for another couple of years, so I skipped the deal :)

Alexis the Honey B said...

I love georgia but i'm afraid both these blushes may be too light for my skin tone. Great swatches!!!!

Eden-Avalon said...

I didn't know that these were on this type of sale! I'd say too bad, but after seeing the swatches I don't think they would show on me very well! Haha.

Anonymous said...

These are more of a brightening powders, not blushes. They might work as blush on super pale skin but for everyone else they are brightening powders.

Justine (Productrater) said...

Thanks for the Chanel comparison, I was lemming that blush, but the two MAC ones, which I already have, are much nicer.

prettyaspeaches said...

Great deal! I don't own any benefit blushes either. I wonder if they were trying to get rid of their backstock with those prices. Thanks for the comparisons!

Anonymous said...

They are both discontinued and this was ulta's black friday deal.

Kayla said...

Great review, nice pictures! I actually just wrote my review of these powders (should be up on Tuesday). I use Georgia as a finishing powder (light layer with a kabuki) and apply all over my face. So far that's been my favorite use for it. It compliments my NC35 skin nicely!

Monica said...

i heard about this deal on youtube..i really wish there an ulta near me cause this is an amazing discount.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!