Chanel Grenat Stylo Yeux Eyeliner Swatches and Review

Friday, December 30, 2011

Chanel Grenat Stylo Yeux Waterproof Eyeliner is a newly released shade in the Spring 2012 Collection. It retails for $29USD and can be purchased from Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Saks, or Chanel's website.
Grenat is a deep garnet with cranberry-fucshia shimmers. It reminds of a stained wine shade that is quite unique.  I don't think I have seen an exact dupe from other brands.


Chanel Stylo Yeux formula is one of my favorites because of the great wear time.  As true to claim, Stylo Yeux Eyeliners stay put on my oily lids throughout a long work day.  It is not extremely creamy but it glides on the eyes easily without pulling or tugging. Below are some comparisons between Grenat and other purple/cranberry/brown eyeliners I have in my collection.


At first I thought Grenat would be similar to Chanel Ebloui Illusion D'Ombre Eyeshadows but Ebloui leans more eggplant Urban Decay's Rockstar is purple and Whiskey is brown.  Lancome's Amethyst (discontinued) doesn't have as much garnet either.  The closest shade I could find to Grenat is the Cranberry color in Wet N Wild's Knock on Wood Eyeshadow Trio (reviewed here).


Overall, I like Grenat because it is a beautiful and unique shade.  I like to pair this with a cranberry eyeshadow shade and Ebloui.  It shows up well when I use it rimmed on the lower lashes.  On the upper lashes, it takes some work to blend with the eyeshadows so it doesn't look so jarring on the eyes.  I think Grenat will look especially gorgeous on those with hazel or blue eyes.

Bottom line: Grenat is a nice shade to check out and add to your collection.  The Stylo Yeux Eyeliner formula is superb and well worth the money.  This shade may or may not make your eyes look too red or tired.  If paired with a shade that is too close to Grenat, it may also give a "bruised eye" look.  Since it is a permanent shade, I recommend checking this out in person before taking the plunge.

Have you picked up Grenat? What are your thoughts on it?

7 comments:

PerilouslyPale said...

I NEED IT! Your pictures show it's every bit as beautiful as I'd hoped!

Girlie Blogger said...

The plum-y shade looks great.

Eileen said...

I didn't pay much attention to Grenat until I saw it on the SA who was wearing it with Éclosion. I asked what she was wearing because it made her eyes look so warm and green. When she said it was Chanel's new Crayon Yeux in Grenat, I said I'd take it :-) It's definitely not for everyone, but gals with brown, hazel, or green eyes will love it. It really brings a sparkle to the eyes. As for the formula itself, you described it perfectly. It' a winner.

Arianne said...

Is it possibly the same shade as UD 1999? It's pretty but I'm no sure how this is going to work with someone who suffers from dark undereye circles. :| I find purples/plums are pretty hard to pull off for this reason.

I do like Rockstar though because it's more blue. :)

Eileen said...

Hi Arianne,

I don't have the UD, so I can't speak to a comparison of the two. Like many women, I was worried about placing a red color around my eyes. So, to avoid too much red, I wear Grenat on top of my upper lashes and beneath my lower lashes and then apply Chanel's Clair (light beige) on my lower waterline to cancel out any natural redness right next to the white of the eye. Grenat doesn't seem to emphasize any darkness beneath my eyes because it is not purple or plum. It's a warm, garnet red.

Kristie said...

Hi Arianne - UD's 1999 is similar to Grenat but is not as deep of a garnet. Eileen has a great method to cancel out the redness by using a light beige color on the lower lashes. For dark under eye circles, I find that using MUFE's HD concealer really helps!

Eyeliner said...

Vow.. all of these shades are really great..I like the 'Wet n Wild shade very much. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!