Chanel Roses Ultimes de Chanel Collection Swatches and Review

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Chanel Roses Ultimes de Chanel Collection is now available both online and at Nordstrom counters.  I wasn't expecting these to be released until later this month so this was definitely a good surprise. All of the images were taken with the phone's camera but I did try to get the colors as accurately as possible.  I also had to remove all of my current nail polish to try out the 4 new shades at the counter.  Thus, my advance apologies for the less than stellar cuticles and paint job.


First off, I absolutely adore the display from the collection.  The swirly design is rather different and chic.  I was also pretty excited to see the colors in person.  First up are the glossimers ($29.50USD).  Right off the bat I can tell 3 of the 6 shades are on the lighter, paler side.  There are also 3 shades with shimmer and 3 without. 



Surprise is a pale white with shimmer. This is more of a lipstick topper to add shine and shimmer.

Plaisir is a pale milky peach. It is the most deceiving in the tube. I was expecting it to have a bit more color. Again, this is a lipstick topper.

Volupte is a milky coral-peach that is not as intense as it looks in the tube either.  This has no shimmer and is a light peach on my lips. I think this will look lovely on top of Chintz or Peregrina to enhance the lipstick.

Amour is quite lovely. It is a peachy pink with shimmer.  On the lips by itself, I can't detect any color, only the shimmer is visible. Again, this is a lipstick topper that will be lovely with Jersey Rose.

Desir is a watermelon berry with shimmer.  I like the shade but I'm not sure it's particularly unique. It has the slightest hint of color and a lot of shimmer on the lips.

Jalousie is the most opaque out of the 6.  It has no shimmers but is a lovely berry fuchsia. I like this shade the most since I haven't seen very many opaque glossimers from Chanel lately.


Next up are the nail polishes in Attraction, Distraction, Tentation, and Frisson.

Attraction is a pearly white that is streaky.  If you can look past the streaks, this is actually rather pretty from a distance.

Distraction is the perfect summer coral shade.  It applies quite smoothly and is nicely opaque after 2 coats.

Frisson is a huge disappointment for me. I was really looking forward to this shade but was let down by the formula. It needed 3 coats to be fully opaque and the overall finish is clumpy.  I tried it on 2 fingers and both had the same clumpy effect. The milky pale pink shade  is also not flattering on me at all. On the plus side, this is the only shade that has visible shimmer on the nail.

Tentation is a berry fuchsia that is not the same as Rouge Carat. Rouge Carat is red whereas this is more fuchsia. It is opaque with 2 coats.


Overall, I am quite disappointed with the Roses Ultimes de Chanel Collection.  While most of the shades are lovely, I don't think I was particularly blown away by any of the items. Chanel has released many unique, fashion-forward les vernis in previous collections and these just don't seem to be on the same level.  I think most of the nail polish shades are dupable from other lines for a lower price point.  At $26USD a bottle, I was expecting a lot more. As for the glossimers, Jalousie is the most opaque out of the 6.

Bottom Line: While the collection has many wearable items, there are no must-haves in my opinion.  If I have to pick, I would have Distraction, Jalousie, and perhaps Amour on the top of my list. For those on a budget and have the chance to see this in person, I highly recommend doing so before handing over your credit card.

You can also check out better swatches of the nail polishes from TheBeautyLookBook and MakeupMagpie.

What are your picks from this collection? Did anything blow you away?

26 comments:

Il blog di Ivana said...

Wow, thank's for swatches !!

Kristie said...

Any time! Hope they can help you narrow down what what to purchase.

Tammie said...

Do you have a link for the collection on Nordstrom? I'm interested in Jalousie but all searches come up blank, even just "Chanel Roses"...

Polarbelle said...

I think I realty want Distraction and Tentation,. Not like I need another fuchsia polish but it's my weakness. Thanks for the swatches and reviw.

Girlie Blogger said...

So sorry you were dissapointed. I though Chanel was a nice brand. Better luck next time.

Crystal said...

attraction looks exactly like chanel flocon :)

Anonymous said...

hi!!! thankyou for this great review!! once again, i'm dissappointed with chanel!! amore is suppose to be on the model's lips. i tried it, with a lip pencil, and i have very high pigmented lips. on my friend who doesn't, it looked both the same. plasir and attraction were suppose to have been used at chanel's spring/summer show. of course, it looks always better and different on the models!!! i've been emailing chanel about this since last summer's collection. jac was not wearing the lip colors offered in that collection at all!! i'm very sad. i feel it's somewhat a bit false advertisement, photoshopping, and a bit misleading. like they don't really want you to know or get the exact color. my money is just as good as the models!!! for the money, i don't care if i had the model's salary. i'm passing on this. i just love the model and the picture! saving for their summer collection. did you see guerlain's?!! also, looking at the distraction nail color, laura mercier just came out with a coral for less. i wonder if it's the same? did you happen to see it? thankyou very much!!! xo

Lucy said...

I feel lik I need Volupte and Distraction in my life :) You're right nothing outstanding, but still so pretty :)

Leticia said...

Jalousie is my favorite!

Mylinda said...

Thanks for posting this. I was at the counter checking this collection out the other day and I'm as disappointed as you. It seems rather ordinary as far as Chanel collections go. I picked up Distraction and Volupte. Close call between Volupte and Amour. I almost bought both. To the reader who asked about comparing Distraction to the Laura Mercier nail polishes, it falls somewhere between Sizzle and Cabana, with Sizzle being more orange and Cabana having a slightly more pink hue. I'm going to grab myself some Cabana later this week :)

Kristie said...

Hi Tammie, I don't think Nordstrom has put the collection on the website yet. However, it is already available at my local counter. You may want to call your nearest store to check. I think they will post it online shortly though.

Hi Shelley, I think both will look lovely on you!

Girlie Blogger - Chanel is a great brand. I'm still a fan but just not impressed with this particular collection. I hope they come out with something more impressive next time!

Hi Crystal, thanks for pointing out another dupe!

Hi Anonymous - I haven't seen Guerlain Summer yet but I'm definitely looking forward to its release. LM's Cabana is paler and is not as coral compared to Distraction. Both are lovely depending on your preference.

Hi Lucy - both choices are great for the spring/summer season!

Hi Leticia - it is the most opaque glossimer I've seen in a while! I think it'll look lovely on you.
February 16, 2012 8:01 AM

Hi Mylinda - great choices! I think Volupte and Distraction makes a really nice peachy/coral combo for a warm spring day.

Eileen said...

I think of these little mini collections released between seasons as just being the brand's way of keeping customer attention focused on them until the next seasonal release. These interstitial collections aren't bad, they just tend to be rather basic.

The spring releases this year were outstanding, and from what I've seen in sneak peeks, the summer collections will be gorgeous, too. I'm saving my money and biding my time until those come out.

Tammie said...

@ Kristie - Thanks! I was just there last night and I didn't think to check, so I'll just wait until it appears online... Everybody loves glossimers sooo much but they are always so glittery and sheer and the one I got before just looked awful on me, so I was hoping to try another one that is both not glittery/shimmery and has some actual pigment in it, so I want to give Jalosie that chance haha.

Kristie said...

Hi Eileen, I too am eagerly waiting for the release of the Summer collection. The stripe bronzers from last year are awesome. I can't wait to see the onse they will release this year.

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) said...

I think as a collection it's beautiful but as individual items, nothing stands out. Which gloss do you think the model is wearing in that display? Volupe looks quite nice actually but I wonder if it's too pale for me.

Kristie said...

Hi Liz, the model has Amour glossimer on top of Pink Sugar lip liner.

nudibelle said...

Thank you soooooooooooo for these swatches!i ordered distraction im a sucker for coral and was waiting for lip swatches. I had read how sheer they are. So disappointing. I will definitely get jalousie, some sites showed a frost or shimmer your picture an descriptions finally show what it really is.

Alexis the Honey B said...

your chanel posts are never good news for my wallet! everything looks so lovely! thanks for the swatches!

Makeup Magpie said...

Great swatches! I also thought the display was pretty & unique. I didn't get any of the Glossimers--although they look nice, I am trying to use up the ones I have. I was a bit disappointed in Frisson & skipped Attraction altogether, but am tempted go back & get it, despite the streakiness...no willpower sometimes when it comes to Chanel!

Eden-Avalon said...

Agreed, nothing that really rocked my socks. And i'm hesitant to spend department store money on glosses anyway. If I had to pick something, the distraction polish is quite lovely (but not un-dupeable)

Tammie said...

Got Jalosie yesterday! It actually does have a subtle shimmer, but it only shows up on the lips in direct sunlight. I LOVE it, beautiful color :)

Replica said...

This is so helpful, thanks :) Now I know what to go for when the collection comes out here x

Anonymous said...

Do you know how the two coral glosses compare to Coral Love?? I just bought it and was wondering how different they were. Thanks!

Kristie said...

Hi Anonymous - The only "true" coral in this collection is Volupte. It does not have gold shimmers like Coral Love and is paler in comparison. Desir leans more pink compared to Coral Love. In other words, none of the glossimers in this collection is a true dupe for Coral Love.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the swatches! I agree I was slightly underwhelmed with the collection...but I really do like the 7th swatch you tried on your hand (the opaque raspberry shimmer)...what is the name of that swatch? Thanks again!

Kristie said...

Hi Anon - I believe that is Desir. The non labeled color is YSL's new Rouge Pur Couture - Vernis a Levres' Glossy Stain #13.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!